Sign in to follow this  

Links to / books about parametric surface representations?

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I'm in the market for a good book that covers parametric surface representations in detail. Gordon surfaces, Coons patches, Tau-splines, that kind of thing. I have Foley and van Dam's book "Computer Graphics Principles and Practice", which is a useful introduction, but doesn't cover very much of the field. In particular I'm interested to find out about something called the method of "Gregory's Square", for calculating twist vectors in the construction of a Coons Patch. For the life me of I can't find anything substantial about "Gregory's Square" via Google except for a lot of very tantalising links to abstracts of papers on various portals (requiring a subscription). If anybody has a link to some publically available material specifically about this, I'd be grateful for it. Any recommendations for books would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tom [Edited by - tweduk on June 2, 2007 5:29:00 PM]

"Curves and Surfaces for Computer Aided Geometric Design", by Gerald Farin, Academic Press. A significant amount of content is covered, including Gordon surfaces, Coons patches, and it does discuss Gregory's Square. No mention of Tau-splines that I could see.

Also, if you have an academic library near you you could see if they have the journals with articles in question there -- they'll often let you read or copy them for free.

marijnh,

It so happens that Edinburgh University library has the 2nd edition of the book Dave mentioned. It had the 3rd edition, but it's marked as "lost", which I guess means "stolen by an undergraduate" :) I'm eligible to use that library, so yes, I can access journals that way, although I'd probably find them difficult to follow with my basic level of knowledge.

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.