Sign in to follow this  

DirectX SDK install problem

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I've been searching around for a solution to my problem for days and weeks now. I really need support and figured this would be the best place. So I've runned Visual Studio .NET 2005 for while now, and wanted to test DirectX programming again. I've programmed a little before, and I had no problems with installing the SDK. Everything was fine and I could debug. Now when I'm installing it it doesn't show up as installed when I start up VS (usually you could tell if it is installed if you go to Help > About Micros...). I can add the references and every file that is needed by the SDK is installed, it just doesn't register with VS.NET2005. I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled both the SDK and VS several times (and believe me, it's time consuming) but it's still the same. So you know something that could help me out here? (I hope I posted in the right forum, first timer here but I looked through every part and this seemed like the right thing. Pardon me otherwise)

Well,I don't think that I have ever seen directx show up in that window. I've never had a problem. Is direct x working fine? If it is working then everything is fine and you don't have to worry about this.

Quote:
Original post by Programmer101
Well,I don't think that I have ever seen directx show up in that window. I've never had a problem. Is direct x working fine? If it is working then everything is fine and you don't have to worry about this.

Nah it doesn't work fine. As I said, I can add references to the DLL's, but no debuging is available. I don't get the templates, and I can't create devices, the Device constructor throws a InvalidCallException. Also the documentation doesn't show up.

Looks like there's some confusion here.

The DX SDK used to integrate with VS .NET 2003, and would add an icon to the VS splash-screen, indicating it was "DX Enabled". This is no longer available in VS 2005, due to changes in VS.

Part of the removal of this "VS Integration" was also the removal of "Start with DirectX Debugging...", which is not available on VS 2005. Instead, PIX was introduced, which lets you do the same things, and more, but in an external program.

Both PIX and the DX SDK Documentation are available via the Start menu.

As for not being able to create a device, it sounds like you're doing it incorrectly. The constructor is returning INALIDCALL for a reason, and you need to find out what it is. To find out, I'd recommend using the "Debug Runtimes". You can find out how to switch to the debug runtimes, and more useful information from Jack's excellent New DirectX Forum FAQ.

Hope this helps.

Haha well that explains it all. Geez why can't it be writting in clear text when you download the SDK. Then stupid people like me could avoid these kind of problems :P

Well thanks sirob for making this understandable. Now I just need to learn these new things.

Thread closed?

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.