Sign in to follow this  

C++ Networking

This topic is 3850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was looking at the gpwiki SDL networking tutorial. (http://gpwiki.org/index.php/SDL:Tutorial:Using_SDL_net) i was just wonder how the client resolved the ip and the port of the server?

Normally the host port and ip are known to a client unless there is a game lobby, but even then the lobby is known. From a quick look :
Quote:

/* Resolve the host we are connecting to */
if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&ip, argv[1], atoi(argv[2])) < 0)

The client is getting the information from the command line.

so in a game lobby i would have the client connect to my websites server

then that brings up two questions. how do i find out the ip address of the computer the program is running on. and how would i program my linux server to open the lobby socket? im experienced with PHP, and i know how to use sockets with it, but how would i keep it connected to the socket 24/7?

I think your questions would be better being posted in the network forum, but anyway.
Quote:

how do i find out the ip address of the computer the program is running on.
Do you mean the server? for server it would be an hard coded port and possibly a web addy.
Quote:

how would i program my linux server to open the lobby socket

Just using BSD and connecting to.
Quote:
... but how would i keep it connected to the socket 24/7
which do you mean the server or client?

i dont think my hosting company would appreciate my socket program running 24/7, its a shared server after all. but i thought up an idea to have (almost) serverless lobby. i only have one question, is there any way to read and write to a database on my server using C++?

This topic is 3850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.