XNA in AAA games

Started by
28 comments, last by Ravyne 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm not a newbie to game dev but I'm new to XNA stuff. Is it possible to use XNA to make games in the class of Halo, Half Life, Need For Speed or Fifa? I've read that XNA is for hobbists (and people in that circle). If XNA is not good for these types of games please tell me why or direct me to an article that talks about that. Thanks.
Advertisement
Yes, you could probably make Halo or any other game using XNA. And in a console generation or two the XNA game would run about as quick as current Halo written in C++
There is nothing stopping you from making a AAA game in XNA. In fact, Microsoft would probably love you for doing so :). But the framework itself is powerful and considering how powerful the Xbox 360 is (and that XNA has access to 4 of the 6 hardware threads), I don't see why XNA on an Xbox 360 couldn't get at least to the quality of Halo on Xbox. Seems quite possible.
I think, if you have the resources, you could build a pretty decent game with XNA. I haven't used XNA myself, but I know that large game studios tend to want to have control of nearly anything that happens on the system (memory allocations, cache misses etc.), especially on console. Therefore I would actually think XNA would be too high-level for any studio that makes AAA-games.

P.S. 1+1=10, of course, not 11. [wink]
So in about 2 years there will be no need to buy the XBox Developement Kit(XDK)? If we still have to buy it then what does it offer that XNA doesn't? I've read that code for XNA on XBox should be 100% c# or managed c++, and that's why the old newton physics SDK had to be rewritten for XNA.
As far as I know you can't use Managed C++ with XNA and make games for the XBox 360. I am fairly sure that you can only use C# currently.

I don't see why you couldn't make an AAA game with XNA but to do so would require the appropriate budget and team. With such a budget it might be better to purchase the XBox 360 dev kit currently as XNA can't be used for commercial XBox 360 games (yet).
fwiw halo was written in c not c++

Quote:There is nothing stopping you from making a AAA game in XNA. In fact, Microsoft would probably love you for doing so :)

would they? would they make money off it, if not then the answer is no
Quote:Original post by zedz

I never heard that before, not that I don't believe you. Just seems weird that they'd go with C over C++.

Quote:
Quote:There is nothing stopping you from making a AAA game in XNA. In fact, Microsoft would probably love you for doing so :)

would they? would they make money off it, if not then the answer is no

Microsoft is trying to push XNA and managed code both for gaming and Windows. It's part of their "Games For Windows" campaign where the games all share commonalities (like using the Xbox 360 controller). When the first XNA built Xbox Live Arcade game was announced, it made decent news to Microsoft. They showed it off as "what XNA could do." Now take that response and multiply it by the difference between an arcade game and a AAA game. That's why they'd be happy. It'd convince more people to use XNA.

And yes, commercial Xbox 360 projects will require XNA Professional (or whatever they wind up calling it) which will sell for a currently undisclosed price. So technically this would make Microsoft money. However, you can develop and market PC games just as you would making them in C++ using DirectX or OpenGL.

I also believe that the professional version has been rumored to support Managed C++ as well as C# so as to reduce some of the learning curve of using managed code. I've also read about the eventual inclusion of most languages into XNA at one point or another. I've seen things (little hackery, but not necessarily against any EULAs that I'm aware of) such as using Visual BASIC with XNA so it's possible. It's just a regular managed library as far as I know. It's that the IDE (Game Studio Express) only uses C# for a language as it's based on Visual C# Express.
Plus to play the games you need to pay Microsoft $100 a year for Live Arcade... More XNA games=more reason to get Live Arcade which gets Microsoft more money.

Quote:Original post by zedz
I know for a fact that this is not true.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement