Sign in to follow this  
polaris2013

Don't understand why these two code blocks are different

m_prgSprites is a C++ Vector of <CMovable*> CMovable is a class I wrote SafeDelete is a macro I will show at the end This one crashes:
std::vector<CMovable*>::iterator j = m_prgSprites.begin();

while(j < m_prgSprites.end())
{
	if((*j)->IsDead())
	{
		m_prgSprites.erase(j);
		SafeDelete(*j);
		j = m_prgSprites.begin();
	}
}
This one doesn't:
std::vector<CMovable*>::iterator j = m_prgSprites.begin();

while(j < m_prgSprites.end())
{
	if((*j)->IsDead())
	{
		CMovable* temp = *j;
		m_prgSprites.erase(j);
		SafeDelete(temp);
		j = m_prgSprites.begin();
	}
}
SafeDelete macro:
#define SafeDelete(pObject) if(pObject != NULL) {delete pObject; pObject=NULL;}
I don't understand why the behavior is different. Any help? edit: forgot to mention, erase() does not change the value of *j, I checked in the debugger with single step.

That's so weird, you're right. I just swapped the order of those two lines and it crashed again. Even though the values are the same! So I guess I'll delete first and erase second. Counterintuitive, but I guess it should work.

It's not really counter-intuitive, when you examine it. If 'j' was a simple pointer, and it was erased (set to NULL/0, for example), would you expect to be able to use it to free the memory?

int* j = new int;
j = 0; // Invalidated here
delete j; // This won't crash, because 'delete' ignores a null pointer, but suffice to say, it's not doing what it should

Also, erase returns the next valid iterator or end(), so you could use that to reset j rather than resetting it to the vector beginning.

For your own sanity and everyone else's you should make SafeDelete an inline function instead of a macro.
template<typename T>
void SafeDelete(T*& pObject)
{
delete pObject;
pObject = NULL;
}

Quote:
Original post by Julian90
For your own sanity and everyone else's you should make SafeDelete an inline function instead of a macro.
template<typename T>
void SafeDelete(T*& pObject)
{
delete pObject;
pObject = NULL;
}

That's not going to create an inline function, just a customized version for whatever object you are deleting. You need to put 'inline' in front of the void declaration.

And even then I believe that the inline keyword is more of a suggestion to the compiler? Meaning that a function marked as inline may not end up being inlined. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aside from small linkage details, the inline keyword is mostly ignored on most compilers. However:

1. Not trusting the compiler to inline a simple two-line function that takes its argument by reference is really a paranoid thing to do. Even code bloat is generally corrected by the main linkers.

2. Worrying about the performance of a single call when deleting objects is also kind of silly. If you need higher performance for that specific loop (and have proved it using a profiler), there are better things you can do to increase it (such as std::remove_if).

3. The usefulness of a SafeDelete macro or function in C++ (not C) is dubious at best. If an object owns another, then it should manifest that ownership in an exception-safe way, such as an std::auto_ptr or a boost::shared_pointer.