Longs Peak

Started by
12 comments, last by zedz 16 years, 10 months ago
Honestly I didn't expect they would include it in the main API. I was just figuring they might have some kind of example or such. What with them transitioning from the "It's a spec" mentality to the "It's an SDK mentality".

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by n00body
Honestly I didn't expect they would include it in the main API. I was just figuring they might have some kind of example or such. What with them transitioning from the "It's a spec" mentality to the "It's an SDK mentality".

http://quesoglc.sourceforge.net/

there is a decent one (based on freetype)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by n00body

I understand your point, but it's not so easy, especially for something so involved like meshes... especially animated ones.
Everybody likes to have meshes in a way it's managed with a bit of secret sauce. Next-gen projects will probably add a bit of "muscle physics" simulation to the skeletral system.

You can write and provide a library which reads .png - everybody uses .png and it's a well defined format. You can design a tool which produces sound, or a file format which encodes arbitrary amount of channels (RAD).
You cannot just write and provide a library which reads "meshes" and plugs them in your engine - what a "mesh" really is and how it's managed is not so well defined.

Previously "Krohm"

WRT d3d u mean d3dx which is a library that uses d3d, just like glu or my own math/mesh/texture library (but its not part of d3d).
there is no way this will make it into the main library ( for the same reasons d3d doesnt include any mesh etc loading stuff, it just doesnt belong there )

if u want a animation/mesh/model loading library check out collada, does everything plus the kitchen sink

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement