Longs Peak

Started by
12 comments, last by zedz 16 years, 10 months ago
Has there been any word on the status of Longs Peak, a.k.a. rewrite of OpenGL? Specifically, I had heard that they intended to make a release some time before July, leaving us with some time this month. So I was wondering about two specific details: 1.) Are they just going to complete the spec this month, or do they plan to have driver implementations that coincide with it? 2.) Are there any resources, like websites, PDFs, etc where I can get an idea of the syntax and semantics changes they have planned? I'm just wanting to see if a usable release will occur within a reasonable time-frame to be included in my own project. Thanks for any help you can provide.

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Advertisement
1) the hope is the spec will be out this month, I guess in theory an implimentation could be out at the same time, however I'm not counting on it, I'm expecting a 3 month lag time between spec and driver release at least (anything else is a bonus); however having the spec to program towards is a good thing [smile]

Offically however, the release was just 'summer 07' which means June, July and Aug. are all perfectly possible release dates.

2) As for a look at the new API, The OpenGL Pipeline news letter has details on it. The GDC07 presentations also have some information, specifically A peek inside OpenGL Longs Peak.
Oh, kind of a shot in the dark question. Did they mention anything at all about a character rendering system? That would be really handy, and certainly long overdue.

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Quote:Original post by n00body
Oh, kind of a shot in the dark question. Did they mention anything at all about a character rendering system? That would be really handy, and certainly long overdue.

Why should OpenGL include a character rendering system ? , imo that should be left to third party libraries/engines.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
Quote:Original post by n00body

Why should OpenGL include a character rendering system ? , imo that should be left to third party libraries/engines.

Because DirectX has one.

Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Quote:Original post by soconne
Because DirectX has one.
No. D3DX does provide some meshing funcs but D3DX isn't D3D and every serious engine will have troubles using those meshes. If you search the D3D forums you'll find plenty of people having issues with them - I speculate definetly more than writing an ad-hoc engine component.

There is no chance something like this goes in the Lean & Mean profile, maybe in an updated GLU but definetly not in core. It doesn't make any sense.

Previously "Krohm"

No, they should put everything into GL, loading textures, handling the mouse and keyboard and then they should call it Lean and Mean.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by V-man
handling the mouse and keyboard
It's a GRAPHICS library.

Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Quote:Original post by V-man
handling the mouse and keyboard
It's a GRAPHICS library.

I was being sarcastic. Notice the mention of the Lean and mean profile.
In other words, many things should be thrown out including selection and feedback modes.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
FYI:
Quote:Originally posted by Jon Leech (oddhack):
We will not be releasing specs until later this summer at earliest. There is a good deal of information in the OpenGL Pipeline articles, particularly the upcoming edition that will be out in a week or two, but not enough to start coding to yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement