Music Composer

Started by
1 comment, last by Nery Bauer 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello, My name is Nery Bauer, this is my first post in the forum. I work with music composition and production. Maybe some of you already know my work, since Im a colaborator of the royalty-free music website shockwave-sound.com. Im very interested in become part of game projects of any size. I have already worked for some minor cell games, and have composed for film, tv and video, besides my authoral work in electronic music. Here is my demo reel: Nery Bauer's Demo Reel I tried to spam a wide variety of styles here in the demo. Any comment will be very welcome, and feel free to message me for any questions. I have some music ready to license, asroyalty-free, if this interest someone. Hopeto hear from you all, Cheers, Nery
Advertisement
You've got a great style down, and I think it would work very well for the right game, if you're lucky enough to land a game with the proper genre (you'd be fine with an FPS, maybe with with a futuristic RTS, but I wouldn't let you touch my fantasy genre or an RPG). You might be hurt by the lack of center and the same repetitive, largely-electronic style. (You can correct me if this is due to a limitation of sequencers and samplers, but it doesn't sound like you're hurting too much there.) One of my favorite bits was at 2:24, because you really started to compose music (personally, I love melodies, especially when they're subtle enough to not draw attention away from the game). I think more of this would really add some depth to your scores.

I think you would benefit from diversifying a bit, since you really do need a broad background and experience to appeal as a video game music composer now adays. Several years ago (way back in the late 90's, actually), the transition between unabashedly-"computer" music and CD-quality streaming music justified composers who specialized in purely electronic scores. (I should clarify that by 'electronic' scores, I'm referring to instruments that are not sampled from or defined in imitation of real instruments.) Now adays, a composer needs to demonstrate an ability to write music that is closer to film scores of today than computer scores of yesteryear. (Sorry, the polka at 4:13 doesn't count. =p) 4:47 was the beginning of one of the better sequences. I think you could focus a little more on the ambient tracks like this for starters; that would help.

Summary: Great job; you know the tools and the processes very well. Try branching out a bit more, and you'll be unbeatable. Two soundtracks that you could take a few cues from are Myst; (old school, but set a lot of precedents, and is one of the greatest video game scores in history), and Guild Wars (one of the definitive scores that was nearly indistinguishable from film music and art music).

Disclaimer: Don't take the criticism personally, of course; I've studied and taught video game music, but this is just my $.02
"Who's John Galt?"
Thank you very much for your comments. Your $0.02 are worth $2000!! Im sure Ill use all of your tips, specially about subtle melodies, and the soundtracks to use as references.

Best,

Nery

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement