Started by
44 comments, last by erissian 16 years, 10 months ago
Psst, Wikipedia knows all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret

:-)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
I see the symbol here, maybe its your language set.
Yeh, now I see it on one of my computers but not the other.
Quote:Anyway, the *only* similar math symbol to both those characters is still the conjunction symbol.

Not true. In articles written in the days before TeX, and even these days in text-based circumstances, it's quite common to see ^ used for exponentiation. I've got some old Blinn papers in my filing cabinet at work that I'm almost certain use ^ in that way. It may be something which is specific to computer science literature.

Im not saying nobody does it, but its not proper nor widely accepted, and no math professor would use it on a blackboard. Plus, now that great tools exist, it should not be encouraged. Must have been a pain, doing science research in the days before Tex and the net.

Funnily enough, I had to revise one of my own articles because I had mistakenly used * for multiplication instead of the dot in one particular equation. The reviewers couldnt see why I was convoluting...
Im not saying nobody does it, but its not proper nor widely accepted, and no math professor would use it on a blackboard.

Of course they wouldn't. They don't have to. The caret is used for exponentiation where superscripts aren't feasible. It's certainly widely accepted (see pretty much any Usenet FAQ involving math, for instance). As for "proper", I have no idea whether the Queen Mother considers it acceptable.
Im not saying nobody does it, but its not proper nor widely accepted, and no math professor would use it on a blackboard.

Of course they wouldn't. They don't have to. The caret is used for exponentiation where superscripts aren't feasible.

And thats what makes it unproper, and it should always be a priori and clearly defined when used as such, because the correct usage of ^ is for the conjunction, and using it for anything else only leads to confusion (as seen here).

tiegudanxin, I dont know what you are reading, but if it is for a mathematics class, then ^ means a logical "and". If its ALGOL then better read the language's semantic grammar...
And thats what makes it unproper, and it should always be a priori and clearly defined when used as such, because the correct usage of ^ is for the conjunction, and using it for anything else only leads to confusion (as seen here).

You're using circular reasoning here. Do you have any evidence that more people mistake a caret-as-conjunction for a caret-as-exponentiation than the other way around? Honestly, I doubt many people would be confused by either.
Quote:Original post by instinKt
A friend of mine was told there was no such thing as negative natural numbers.

Fixed.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
If you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for exponentiation, I would expect any serious publication to consider it a typo. If you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for conjunction, I would expect any serious publication to consider it a typo.

I did publish several science papers, but I never needed to use the conjunction symbol in my equations (I think), so I admit I dont know first hand. Why would they consider it a typo when it is the only correct mathematical symbol for conjunction? Im curious to what you use for conjunction if not it.

I cannot believe reading you guys, math is supposed to be the least ambiguous thing out there. The OP asked for the meaning of ^ in math, and I stand that it is the conjunction, and not any of the other meanings mentionned here.

I assure you from first hand experience that A ^ B would not be regarded as a logical conjuction (AND) since the symbol for (AND) is more akin to /\: A /\ B. It is most likely to be taken as A raised to the power of B. The standard symbol for XOR is the symbol \/ underlined. I have not seen the notation of ^ in a maths paper before. Even the wedge product is much larger.

Numbers exist in the same manner that blue does, which is: not really. :)
I have seen ^ used as a shorthand for Fourier transform more times than any of the possibilities mentioned above, so I'd say that's the "right" meaning (and apart from math, the LaTeX interpretation wins hands down).
Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia
Quote:Original post by instinKt
A friend of mine was told there was no such thing as negative natural numbers.

Fixed.

Don't defend a lousy teacher who was too lazy to explain to the other kids what a negative number was!
The OP asked for the meaning of ^ in math, and I stand that it is the conjunction, and not any of the other meanings mentionned here.

That's pretty narrow-minded. There is no universal standard for mathematics, just convention. While you may prefer to have ^ default to logical conjunction, there is no denying that it is commonly used for a whole variety of other things, and hence it represents them. Hell, I've seen some horribly perverse notation in my days, but I've never claimed ant of it to be 'wrong'. Indeed, if the writer defines their own notation, that's their prerogative and nobody can refute their use of it.

The whole argument's pretty much moot anyway. I would hope it's very clear from the context what is meant.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement