Sign in to follow this  
PhoenixAdmin

Well

Am new to this site this my first day ofcourse. I been doing programming for about 1 with C++. I am 14, I know C++ farely well but not well enough to call my self a expert. Any ways I have done other things like javascript and I have learned C#. I did C before I started C++ so I know both very well. My question is what do I need learn other then C++ and C# to be able to make games? My other one is how much will 1 year of C++ help in game making I guess am trying to say do I need any more experince before I try game making? [Edited by - PhoenixAdmin on June 3, 2007 6:53:26 PM]

What you will need is to look into various APIs (SDL, OpenGL, DirectX) if you want to develop a game with graphics. Any of those is a good choice.

After you get the basics of those, then start with tutorials that give you insight into basic code layout and concepts.

But the most important thing is, to start working on a project now. Theory won't teach you how to get things done. And rather than teaching you how something is done, it'll show you where all you need to focus on.

But knowing C++ and C#, even if just basics, is more than enough. Just pick one.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
What you will need is to look into various APIs (SDL, OpenGL, DirectX) if you want to develop a game with graphics. Any of those is a good choice.

After you get the basics of those, then start with tutorials that give you insight into basic code layout and concepts.

But the most important thing is, to start working on a project now. Theory won't teach you how to get things done. And rather than teaching you how something is done, it'll show you where all you need to focus on.

But knowing C++ and C#, even if just basics, is more than enough. Just pick one.

Thank you for that post.

reasonable knowledge of (and skill with) any one of the major languages is pretty much all you need from that perspective. The rest is a matter of creativity and things that stem from that. That is to say that it really depends on what you want to make. If you want to make a complicated 3D game you definitely need to know a graphics API like OpenGL or DirectX (etc...). If you want music you will need an API for that as well (IE: OpenAL, etc).

My suggestion is to come up with a relatively simple idea for an initial project, and make that. Then start branching out with new features, and new projects, which gradually challenge your skill and knowledge and make you learn new methods\APIs\etc.

As always, just my $0.02