Sign in to follow this  

animation framework/API

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello again, i'm also looking for an animation framework/API and i also didn't really find such a thing in the forum or the gameliblist. essentially the functionality i need comes down to changing different shared values along some predefined curves (fadein, fadeout, ...). i already coded with the tweening classes in flash actionscript and somehow liked the concept. for example you can get notified when the animation is finished. i would be interested how i could implement that myself and integrate that into (let's call it) an engine. could someone give me some architectural hints how/where to start?! it should not be all-purpose but clean and flexible design :) i thought about some kind of animationcontroller and observer pattern thingie but maybe someone already has some ideas and experience or tips ;) i guess a good timer is important too. thanks again

You could probably write one. There are a few basic things that you need:

Bone-joint-keyframe support (included in most models)
A timer (which you already know)
A 3D system (OpenGL would work perfectly)
A time-transform algorithm (For example, have a thing that reads the changes in location (dx, dy, dz), divide it by the number of frames spanned, and on each frame refresh, add on the solution to the x, y, and z of the joint.)

EDIT: You could have events specified for onRefresh, onStart, onEnterKeyframe, and onFinish as well. Then have these called from the object controlling the basis model file. And besides, wouldn't it just be easier to take a look at an open-source game engine animation system, say perhaps the Quake or Torque Engine?

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.