Sign in to follow this  
cemedias

level format for irrlicht

I was wondering what the best level format to use with the Irrlicht engine would be? I'm using 3d World Studio to make the levels. Right now I'm using the .x format. Does anyone know if I can use lightmaps with .x? I was going to use IrrEdit, but it runs excruciatingly slow on my computer. I'd like to use a format that 3d World Studio exports to (like: b3d, dbo, txt, fy, wmp, map, x). I'm not very experienced so I don't really know which format is best. If anybody can suggest any other level editors that might be better than 3d World Studio, that would be great. BTW, I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but the levels I'm making are non-animated quake-like levels; I'm making my own textures; and I'm planning on using lightmaps (instead of coding each individual light in the game with Irrlicht. All help is appreciated, thanks.

Irrlicht supports Quake 3 BSP maps so you could hop over to qeradiant.com and download GTK Radiant for Quake 3, and you could also check out Bubba's Arena for some pretty good Radiant mapping tutorials. As for loading Q3 BSP's in Irrlicht, I believe a sample program to do this comes with the engine.

Good luck :)

Sorry for not replying for a couple days.
Thanks for the reply. I actually did use GTK Radiant before, but I was having some problems with it. I want to make my own textures in my game, instead of using pre-made ones from others (like quake). I tried using my own textures in GTK Radiant, but for some reason it would not load them. I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong or what (I just made a new folder in my q2base called textures and put the graphics in there under a jpg format). I like 3d world studio and others because its extremely simple to use your own textures with the editor. I just dont understand why my lights that I use with 3d World Studio wont show up when I load the level into Irrlicht. I know that the level is actually loading because when I manually code the lighting into the program it works, but the actual lights I built into the level weren't working. Thats why I was thinking that I was just exporting it to a file that isn't compatible with lightmapping.

Sorry, that might be a little hard to understand (it was sort of hard to explain lol). Thanks for the help though.

Anymore info would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: BTW, I tried exporting to .map with 3d world studio and converting it to bsp, but then when I loaded the level nothing came up at all. I probably just did it wrong, but i'm not sure.