Sign in to follow this  
RyanZec

OpenGL noob question

OpenGL 2.1, but unlike directx 99% of opengl code is interchangeable between versions so if your just learning it doesn't really matter what version your using

Well this is for a project, not just playing around so it would be nice to use the most common version, adn so all developers are using the same version too. is their a place I can download the latest version of OpenGL?

I also want it becuase it should also be a better version than the one I have which is most likely version 1.5, so there is no way for me to get the lastest version from some site?

you should have the gl.h glu.h already (it ships with VS anyway)

getting the latest functions and features use glew
http://glew.sourceforge.net/

Maybe I am missing the point. When OpenGL gets updated do I not have to update mu header files or any other header/source file on my computer to access the new version?

Ok let me try to make this a simpler question:

I want to use OpenGL 2.0 stuff. I have Visual Studio 2005 which has the OpenGL headers. Do I need anything else to start using OpenGL specific stuff?

Quote:
Original post by RyanZec
I want to use OpenGL 2.0 stuff. I have Visual Studio 2005 which has the OpenGL headers. Do I need anything else to start using OpenGL specific stuff?

Two things; you need "glext.h" and your video driver must support OpenGL v2.0 or greater.

Get the header from OpenGL Extension Registry

Quote:
Original post by RyanZec
Maybe I am missing the point. When OpenGL gets updated do I not have to update mu header files or any other header/source file on my computer to access the new version?

not really, glext.h is the only one you would want to update.
It is possible to use extensions without it though (but you would have to replicate the defines in glext.h or use the numerical values for everything so its really not worth the effort)

i am using visual studio 2005 too. microsoft delivers the opengl.h version 1.1 with it. and these headers are really old. thats the reason why the architecture review board decided to bring in extensions in order to add new stuff to the api. i you use glew (which i use too) everything is great. immediatly after including the extension wrangler header files you can use visual studios intellisense to scroll through the available functions and question the graphic hardwares driver if a specific extension is supported.

you should not have opengl 1.5, because it is not included by anything microsoft delivers. maybe you received the version number from the version string using:
char* glInfo = (char*)glGetString(GL_VERSION);
in this case you only got the version number of the opengl implementation brought to you by the vendor of your graphics hardware.

so:

use glew and maybe check some version and extensions stuff using the free extensions viewer downloadable from http://www.realtech-vr.com/

greetz.