Which languages can you make custom resources with?

Started by
5 comments, last by Goishin 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I know this isn't a common question and how alot of people really do not mind this kind of thing.. but it's always something im crazed/worried about. Which programming languages can you make custom resource files with, so you don't have all of your sound files/graphics/etcetc out in the open? I notice for Scripting languages, C#, or Delphi, it isn't possible (I THINK) since most of these are just a bunch of JPGs, GIFs, MIDs, MP3, etc in a folder lol. Thanks for answering this~ Hopefully it can be answered :D
Advertisement
You can easily make a pack file or even compile in resources in a C# or Delphi application. "Scripting languages" is pretty broad, though most scripting languages you could make a game should be flexible enough to do one or both methods.
Anything that can read and write to a file can make custom resource files.
How would you go about doing that?
Ok, it seems that by 'custom resource file' you mean some sort of archive, perhaps encrypted. The method for doing this will vary according to the language you use and the type of archive you want to create. Many games just use .zips, and there are zip libraries freely available for many languages.
yes delphi has resource files that (as I understand and remember) becomes a part of the program file. The programs icon is always in a .res file, but you can make your own resource file which you can instruct Delphi to include, and therefore you can access whatever you decided to store there. I think that there are a few bugs related to that but perhaps I'm mistaken.

when you get far enough that you would want to seriously consider this as an option you will probably be skilled enough to create your own 'resource / archive' file type that you can append to your .exe or something just as cool / tricky.
The only requirement is the ability to read binary data from a file since you can implement whatever scheme you want (such as zip compression, or encryption, etc) in code. So that's extremely broad. Based on those requirements, you can even do it in vbscript, if you want (though not recommended). I guess what's more important is your skill level with your chosen language. But here's a list of ones I can think of off the top of my head that qualify:

Assembly
C
C++
D
VB
VB.Net
VBScript
C#
Java
&#106avascript (I think, I'm not sure if it can read binary data from files)<br><br>I'm sure others can expand this list more than I.<br><br> - Goishin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement