Sign in to follow this  
Zaku

how exactly does a browser mmorpg/game work

i know there is php for the server script and html for the markup. but is ajax or javascript or flash or that stuff required or is this just optional for nice real time stuff

I don't have any answers but Runescape is an enormously huge game (by that I mean ALOT of players, a number I seem to remember seeing was 7 million) and was written in Java.

i'm almost certain that runescape uses a java applet with some java database support in the background
(hence why the graphics are so cut down)

getting a 3d engine working in a browser is no easy task
(well not with a consistent and usable framerate anyway)

Servers are real things. Java, C++, or something similar. None of that javascript or similar.

Front-end is up to you. There's two parts. One is actual rendering, the other communication.

Depending on the rate of updates and required bandwidth, you can go either heavy-weight, using Ajax, Flash-provided mechanisms, or some such method. Or, you can ask for elevated priviliges, and use applets or possibly one of other frameworks, and establish a connection on your own.

The overall traffic in most browser based games is usually low. Considerably lower than the usual MMORPGs, not even mentioning virtual worlds (SecondLife, There and such).

Scripts, php or other methods of doing anything are b.a.d. For security and integrity reasons.

Database must also be completely and entirely hidden from clients. There must not exist a single way of accessing anything in the back-end in any way, not even with admin password. Ever. This goes for all MMO-style games.

Runescape is big, but it also has a huge number of servers. I'm not sure whether they use clusters for each server, given their apparently low traffic, they might not need to.

ClubPenguin actually sells their framework. Front-end in flash, back-end is either C++ or Java, I forgot.

im talking about games like kingdom of loathing and neo pets, not like runescape. with a game like KoL, is there anything else required besides html and php? its not any REAL graphics, just a bunch of text and pictures.

Quote:
Original post by Zaku
im talking about games like kingdom of loathing and neo pets, not like runescape. with a game like KoL, is there anything else required besides html and php? its not any REAL graphics, just a bunch of text and pictures.

the games are quite simmilar actually, only KoL throws around far less data than Runescape (which has a lot more graphics, player positions etc data to pass over).