Sign in to follow this  

[C++] beginner's map editor

This topic is 3849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have already tried the simplest 2 map editors available- random positions :), and reading entities' positions from a text file. Now I need something with a little more power than a Notepad file- I've heard many early 2D games used a bitmap from which they read only the pixels which had a certain color, that used to represent objects' positions. Could someone provide me with some code that does that; or even some advice? NB: please keep it all standard GDI stuff; the least amount of user-created libs, the better. Thanks!

For the moment, MS Paint is my map editor: I draw some white dots on a black background, save as BMP, then attempt to make my game read all the pixels in that bitmap- when it comes across a white pixel, it stores its coordinates.
The difficult part is reading all the pixel colors in the BMP- how do I do that?

Hidden
How about using a tile map? While you can use pixel-perfect collision detection the way you described (by using a black/white collision layer), it is in my opinion a lot more easier to use tiles and program a map editor to place tiles and save as levels.

I always recommend this tutorial, which is the one I learned how to program from: http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/start.html

It's for Flash, but I'm programming in C and the examples can be read as pseudo-code very easily.

This topic is 3849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.