Sign in to follow this  
RealLDG

Most efficient way

I am currently writing a bit of software for a game that will do the following things: Allow user to enter in name of player as well as feedback about those players. Allow users to enter in personal goals and save them. Allow users to see text previously entered; And be able to manipulate all of the above. (as well as possibly a few other goodies). I am using VB2005 and am higher than a beginner, but not confident enough to call myself intermediate :). I was wondering how I should make this program. Currently, I am thinking of storing it all in Excel or Access. I mostly know how to do that, but I am thinking that XML or even wordpad would certainly be much more efficient for this, as Excel and Access are slow. On a side note, (forgive my noobness :P) - If I have an "Add" button, wish for it to have a pop-up (messagebox like) input (like...Name:_________ Reason:_______), how would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance, you guys always rock!

Quote:
I mostly know how to do that, but I am thinking that XML or even wordpad would certainly be much more efficient for this, as Excel and Access are slow.

Mentioning WordPad as storage medium means that efficiency and performance are the very last of your concerns.

Use anything you want whatsoever, XML, text files, SQL, Access - as long as you can do it.

What kind of application is this? Client-side? Web application? Something else?

A simple client-side program. All info will be saved on user's HDD. I chose to do this for easy access, and honestly saw no reason to use anything complicated...but with that being said, it will need to run well.

I am very unfamiliar of how to gather information from anything other than Excel, MySQL, and Access (and MySQL is quirky). So I am looking for something easy for me to use (and maybe a link/help of how to do it correctly).

Google for "VB XML parser".

Fully standard compliant XML parser is huge thing, with many complex underlying aspects, so find something that you'll be comfortable with. And when you add schemas and other bloat, things get really funny.

.Net provides the DOM aproach, which would be ideal for anything XML, but it may be too scary at first. Use google to find relevant tutorials.

The reason I don't have any useful links is simply the huge scope of this, not as much in XML standards itself, as in variation of implementations.

Would I be better of using something like Access or Excel then? I don't mind learning XML if it were something large, but this type of program is something that, in my opinion, can be written in few days...if not a few hours.

Quote:
Original post by RealLDG
Would I be better of using something like Access or Excel then? I don't mind learning XML if it were something large, but this type of program is something that, in my opinion, can be written in few days...if not a few hours.

Distributing applications based on SQL, Access, Excel or similar tools requires the users to have those applications, or at very least their run-time parts. For SQL, they require fully configured and always running SQL server. And for some of such applications, you aren't even allowed to distribute them.

XML support is embedded into your application, so you don't need anything beyond what Windows provides.

Unless your application is written in Visual Basic for applications. In that case it's moot point, and just use whatever that provides you.

Quote:
Allow user to enter in name of player as well as feedback about those players.
Allow users to enter in personal goals and save them.
Allow users to see text previously entered;
And be able to manipulate all of the above.

I don't understand how this program of yours would have any functionality that Notepad doesn't have... or a piece of paper for that matter.

In all honesty, it would have almost the same functionality of notepad, but with a more specialized purpose and a GUI for that purpose.

As a beginner (or a not-yet-intermediate), efficiency should not be a major concern.

You talk about storing the data "in" Excel, Access, and WordPad. These are applications and you don't store data in them. I assume you mean you would store the data in a file in a format that one of these programs can read. If the data is simple and there is no real need for Excel or Access, then storing it in a simple text format might be your best option.

Quote:
Original post by Wiggin
Quote:
Allow user to enter in name of player as well as feedback about those players.
Allow users to enter in personal goals and save them.
Allow users to see text previously entered;
And be able to manipulate all of the above.

I don't understand how this program of yours would have any functionality that Notepad doesn't have... or a piece of paper for that matter.

Way to have a good attitude. For the first year of programming I did nothing but useless programs that had been done and offered nothing for me. I still do this all the time in college.

Learning is about just that - learning.