• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
evanofsky

OpenGL Idea: Graphics Framework / Community

This topic is 4062 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here's the idea: Step 1. Release an extremely flexible open source multithreaded graphics engine framework as a libary, using Java or something. Step 2. Request a SourceForge project and open an online community site based around the framework. Step 3. Encourage developers to create libraries that implement the framework on various programming languages, platforms, APIs, etc. Step 4. Provide free hosting to graphics engine developers who build their engine around the framework. Step 5. Reap the benefits! Developers that release their graphics engine on this site would be able to compile their engine for different platforms and APIs, simply by downloading the appropriate framework library from Step 3. Pretty crazy stuff. Some questions: 1. Is it possible? I'm mostly concerned with the feasibility of the developers in Step 3 being able to fit at least most of the functionality of OpenGL or DirectX into one framework design. 2. What license? I want open source, but I would also like real deal costs-money engines to be able to use it. GNU Lesser GPL? 3. Would anyone be interested? Or would this online community thing just die slowly? Comments, please. [smile]

Advertisement
Wait, I'm confused. You say
Quote:

Step 1. Release an extremely flexible open source multithreaded graphics engine framework as a libary, using Java or something.

but then say
Quote:
Encourage developers to create libraries that implement the framework on various programming languages, platforms, APIs, etc.

So what are you releasing in step 1? Just a specification or design? That you expect other people to develop to? This seems extremely backwards. It makes the assumption you'll get your design right the first time. This is never the case, especially not for something that nontrivial.

Quote:

1. Is it possible? I'm mostly concerned with the feasibility of the developers in Step 3 being able to fit at least most of the functionality of OpenGL or DirectX into one framework design.

Yes, it's certainly possible, and it's not really all that complex.

Quote:

3. Would anyone be interested? Or would this online community thing just die slowly?

I would not be interested, and I suspect it would die slowly. I also suspect many others would feel the same. As far as I can tell, your idea is no different from any other existing multi-platform and/or multi-API rendering framework or engine out there. Why reinvent the wheel yet again? What do you think is different, unique, or better about your idea?

And why is your development model backwards?

I realized the development process seems backwards, and I planned to simultaneously develop a simple engine that uses the framework. Of course I wouldn't get it right the first time. I would take input from developers and release new versions.

Really I'm not planning on making anything new. I would create a design specification and develop a "sample" platform library, API library, and engine, to get things started. I think the potential lies in combining the framework with the community.

Or maybe not. It sounded like a good idea to me. [smile]

Ogre
Irrlicht

What makes your idea unique? To me it seems like your going for the same thing these projects already have. A good core framework with a community built up around it that supplies lots of add ons.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!