Sign in to follow this  

Interactive Game Soundtrack

This topic is 3848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a game development student, and I'm currently trying to develop an interactive music engine in which objects within the game can be manipulated by the in-game soundtrack. I've been looking into FMod to assist in this, but I'm wondering if it's even possible with FMod, or if anyone has any ideas where I can look for information about this. If you've got any ideas please help. Thank you.

If I recall correctly...

In FMOD you can define callbacks which the playback engine will call occasionally, informing you what the current waveform of the sound is. From there, you can handle the data you get passed.

I am not sure what you mean by “objects within the game can be manipulated by the in-game soundtrack,” but I think that depending on the complexity of what your trying to do, you might be able to get away with just using the FMOD API using the callbacks that you can have triggered by sync points in the wave file. The other option which, IMO is a lot better but has a greater learning curve is to use the FMOD Designer. I was a little confused by the designer at first, and went the way of sync points, but they have some major problems like latency between when they occur and when you can put more data into that buffer so you get a pause in the audio. But if all you want to happen is at certain times in the audio track it changes a variable value, then all you need is the regular FMOD API.

Hope this was more help than confusion.

It is only one callback that occurs when a sync point is hit. So you have to do some work to determine what beat you are on. I believe you want to insert the sync points using Sound::addSyncPoint(), And one of the parameters is a char* where you can put the name of the sync point. Then in the callback, you can check the name to determine what beat you are on.

Note: This can all be done with FMOD API, you don’t need FMOD Designer if that is all you need.

This topic is 3848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.