[.net] CPU workout

Started by
6 comments, last by benryves 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello all... ^_^ I try rendering my scene by either using a while loop or using "this.Invalidate()" within the OnPaint statement... (I'm using C#)... but these 2 methods use up the entire CPU since they're both similar to a "while (true)" statement... Is there a way to minimize that CPU consumption, I don't see any 3D games I play using barely any CPU power at all... Thank you...
Advertisement
I believe a simple sleep call should fix that.
while(isRunning){    runGame();    drawGame();    Sleep(1);}

Use google to find the corresponding call in C#
Check out my devlog.
Another option would be to limit your framerate to your display's refresh rate (vsyncing, using PresentParameters.PresentationInterval = PresentInterval.One). This way calling Device.Present() will block/sleep the rendering thread for as long as needed to match the specified framerate and free up system CPU time this way.

This is probably preferable over a Thread.Sleep, since the Sleep call will pause the CPU blindly and thus slows down your rendering thread. Using a fixed presentation interval adapts the 'pause time' to the current time it takes to actually render a frame. So as you add more CPU heavy code, the pause time will go down to maintain the target framerate.

Hope this helps and/or makes sense :)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Doesn't a Sleep(1)...or is it Sleep(0) call just give up the current unused CPU time?

Quick search on these forums
Check out my devlog.
Quote:Original post by ThunderSoul
I don't see any 3D games I play using barely any CPU power at all...

I don't know what games you've been playing, but all of mine seem to use up as much CPU as they can get their hands on. There's nothing wrong with an exclusive-mode game keeping the CPU busy. In fact, it's the only way to guarantee optimal performance.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Quote:Original post by blueapple
Doesn't a Sleep(1)...or is it Sleep(0) call just give up the current unused CPU time?

Sleep(0) gives up the rest of the current CPU time slice allocated for your process. Sleep(1) will attempt to sleep for 1 millisecond, but it'd probably sleep for more like 10 milliseconds due to low timer granularity.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
Quote:Original post by blueapple

Sleep(0) gives up the rest of the current CPU time slice allocated for your process. Sleep(1) will attempt to sleep for 1 millisecond, but it'd probably sleep for more like 10 milliseconds due to low timer granularity.
Use of Sleep() in time-sensitive applications (e.g. multimedia) isn't a good idea as you've no guarantee as to when your application will regain control. The parameter is stating a minimum delay.

I've not experienced it myself, but I've read accounts of people who traced user-input "bugs" to Sleep() calls - silly things like jittering mice cursors, irregular typing speeds and so on all due to Sleep() taking a non-deterministic time to return.

hth
Jack

P.S. This doesn't seem to be DirectX related, so I'm bumping this over to the .NET forum...

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

The usual way I've seen is to catch the Application.Idle event. Example on Tom Miller's Blog.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement