Sign in to follow this  

FPS regulation / or / frame independant movement

This topic is 3848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am wondering which is more efficient, use FPS regulation, or using time based movement? I know how to use each, but have only used them in little test programs. As of right now I am using FPS regulation to get my game to run smoothly, but was wondering if I should use time based. I just thought I would ask because I noticed a lot of commercial Role Playing games use time based, Such as World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3, EQ, guild wars, etc.

Time-based is the only sensible option, as far as I'm concerned. You can't guarentee the game will run at the same frame-rate on all computers. Never, ever use your frame rate to dictate the speed your game logic runs at.

I'm pretty sure that for accurate physics you need a fixed time step update for your physics engine. IIRC I've seen Christer Ericson post something like that before...

That just means that your render loop is free to update as happily and quickly as it wants to but your simulation is actual time-gated for accuracy. the render engine can just interpolate based on the last known good physics state... or something.

-me

This topic is 3848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.