Video tutorials for making text-based RPG in C++

Started by
5 comments, last by jpetrie 16 years, 10 months ago
Ha I've found another tutorial for y'all. I haven't viewed these yet, but they're video tutorials in .wmv format available for download. It covers the creation of a text-based RPG. From the single-sentence descriptions of the 14 parts, it looks to be interesting. Here are parts and their descriptions, according to the site: Part 1 - Setting up project and library Part 2 - Creating the player class and basic town Part 3 - Defining the player and creating the Inn Part 4 - Create Weapon, Monster, and Entity classes and start of battle function Part 5 - Finish battle function. Test with multiple and single enemies Part 6 - Finished summon portal. Random monsters generate based on level Part 7 - Weapons,Armor, and potions can be purchased. (frames missing) Part 8 - Potions can be used, potion inventory autosorted. Spell class created Part 9 - Added spell list and target to battle. Stumbled over setting up spell casting Part 10 - Fireball, heal, and poison work. Spells list in stats Part 11 - Fixed various bugs. Seeded rand, spells can be purchased Part 12 - Fixed error checking. Player can level up Part 13 - Blaze and Random Spell added Part 14 - Briefly goes over quest creation and adding finishing touches. Just thought this might be interesting for quite a bit of people. I'm going to go check it out now
Advertisement
Wow. Just wow.

Coming up next week. Learn math by watching a mathematician work on n-dimensional differentiations.

Only 4 1 hour sessions. Differentiate like a pro.

No, seriously, the point of this is simply mindboggling.

Here's my advice (sorry, no video) - save yourself the 14 (or so) hours it takes to watch the whole thing, and find any other material.

The learning value of this is zero.

You are literally watching someone type code. And the video doesn't even to support skipping ahead.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
You are literally watching someone type code. And the video doesn't even to support skipping ahead.

Hah yeah, although it does allow skipping ahead on my computer... and the site says it allows it as well
Hey Shakedown!

Not to be overly critical, but..

If you're going to write a "hey guys check this out" post, you should probably:

1) actually watch the videos first so that you can tell us if they are good
2) give us a link
3) not write a repost of something that the original creator already wrote on this site (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=364617)

But thanks!
Quote:Original post by pinacolada
Hey Shakedown!

Not to be overly critical, but..

If you're going to write a "hey guys check this out" post, you should probably:

1) actually watch the videos first so that you can tell us if they are good
2) give us a link
3) not write a repost of something that the original creator already wrote on this site (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=364617)

But thanks!

Very good...I was too distracted to actually GIVE you the link...haha. The reason I post these tutorials is that even if they're not THAT informative or good, going through tutorials as a beginner is always going to help(in my opinion[did with me at least]). And, somebody will go through em, there's always going to be a beginner who wants to take a peek. So, here is the link, please forget my stupid error haha.

HERE!!!

And as for the re-post, I've searched for RPG on this site and never came across that post, so sorry for any re-posting.
Quote:Original post by Shakedown
The reason I post these tutorials is that even if they're not THAT informative or good, going through tutorials as a beginner is always going to help(in my opinion[did with me at least]). A

No, it isn't.

Too many tutorials are a horrible idea, and can teach horrible things. Some can teach outright false, or even things that are the exact opposite of how things are done.

For someone experienced, looking through an unknown domain and tutorials of dubious nature will immediately raise a warning flags. But true begginers will take whatever content is there as sacred.

BASIC is considered a tutorial concept gone horribly wrong. A whole generation of programmers was raised on BASIC, until everyone agreed that BASIC is simply a horrible language, giving a completely wrong insight into programming.

But by then, VB became household name, and the rest is history.

Tutorials are a delicate thing. They need to present a complete domain of software development within 1000 words. That is only possible through very critical analysis of the problem, along with careful selection of concepts used and justification for doing so.

98% of tutorials out there simply base everything on singletons. Not one of them mentions why that is a bad idea, and may only be used with extreme caution. And so, everyone learns the worst possible concept in OO as the first thing.
I agree. Tutorials are exceedingly dangerous.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement