Long respanwn time to encourage self-preservation?

Started by
34 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 16 years, 10 months ago
I think a 72 hour wait would be an instant twinkie denial situation.
Any game forcing such a wait on me would be uninstalled before the time is up.

A forced delay might work if there was something entertaining to do in the meantime. Maybe respawning could work in a kind of 'dead man's boots' fashion; after death you take control of a monster of roughly similar level and have to kill a player of equal or greater level than yourself before you can respawn your main character. As a monster of course, you can respawn indefinitely.
Advertisement
I like that 30% chance of turning into a zombie or something like that. What if you then had to go on some quest to "redeem your soul" or something like that? I like the harsh punishment for dying thing. The gameplay would have to change considerably. I'm only familiar with WoW, but PvP always looks like one big ADD fest (not talking AD&D here). People don't spaz about like a dozen wolverines caught in a tornado in real life. Formations used to matter and such. I think rogues would be even less popular with non-rogues in a game where it took 72 hours to respawn.

The 72 hours would probably be a lot more popular with parents too. Imagine if your kid couldn't play anymore because his character died. That slavery thing seems really cool for a game. You could then organize slave revolts. I don't know how you'd manage what tasks a slave would do though.

It's true that this would only appeal to more mature gamers. And not that I'm a super-mature gamer, but I'd totally go for a system like that. I don't really have the reflexes or graphics hardware for the ADD fest type of game.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Death in most combat-oriented video games is a small matter, at most a fifteen-second delay before you can rejoin the fray. I've been reading the "No tactical thought" and other threads, and am wondering what the reaction might be to an MMO where "death" results in a crushingly long (like 72 hours) "respawn time".

There's an obvious problem with that. If you force the player to play something else for 72 hours, will he come back?
Thats plenty of time to dig into a new game. Which I could then get hooked on and continue playing.

I personally believe that sure, punishing the player for screwing up can be fair, but don't do it by locking me out of the game. If I want to play a game, I should be able to. If I just got killed, you'll have to find another way to punish me than taking 3 days of my life. My time is a limited resource.

Having 3 days where you're simply playing under some restrictions in the game could possibly work (but even so, I'm not a fan of "time-based" punishment. Many MMO's have something like that where for x minutes after you died, you can't fight/have lowered stats or whatever.
The result is just that you get annoyed and bored.
I think a much better route to go would be to tell the player to work to overcome that penalty. The simple example would be to drop you a level when you die. Then the time that would otherwise have been spent sitting around in the middle of the city where you respawned, waiting for your stats to recover, now has to be spent killing monsters to recover. Which means the player can actually play the game.

Of course, that's just the most obvious example, but really don't think my playing time should be confiscated out of in-game punishment. What happens in-game stays in-game. If I get killed in-game, I get punished in-game. I don't get punished by having to stay away from the game for 3 days.
Death in most combat-oriented video games is a small matter, at most a fifteen-second delay before you can rejoin the fray. I've been reading the "No tactical thought" and other threads, and am wondering what the reaction might be to an MMO where "death" results in a crushingly long (like 72 hours) "respawn time".

Yet Another Reason To Hate MMORPGS.
So a lot of what we're seeing here is "three days is too long for X reasons". And some people have come up with alternative punishments. For those who don't believe that the player should be punished, well, risk enhances rewards. When there's more on the line, the gameplay is tenser, and achieving your goals becomes more meaningful. Now, if you're going to punish the player for things outside their control, that's a different matter. Thus, having major punishments for death means, among other things, making certain that it's difficult to accidentally die. It also means, as mentioned above, that if the player gets into a fight that he cannot win, then he needs to have an alternative to dying to end it.

Why do people engage in PVP in MMOs? I haven't played them much at all myself, so I'm guessing here, but I'm going to say at least one of 1) stealing gear/loot, 2) gaining prestige, 3) griefing, and 4) politics. Obviously 1 only counts in a system where it is possible to steal other players' items. 2 may not actually take anything from the killed player, 3 is difficult to control, and 4 can mean a lot of different things depending on the game and the guilds. So the way I see it, the player should have at least two choices - either a) surrender, avoid the death penalty, and give up the full "lost a battle" penalty (e.g. lose some items from inventory / enemy player gets full prestige gain for having "killed" you / your guild trades influence to his guild), or b) die, avoid the "lost a battle penalty" at least in part, but suffer the death penalty. Assuming you do a decent job choosing the penalties, these should actually be balanced options.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
How about if you're just locked out of PvP? You can log onto the PvE server and carebear and grind and continue to train your character, but you can't push the world's boundaries and you can't contribute to your guild's reputation and might while you're "dead".
How about if you're just locked out of PvP? You can log onto the PvE server and carebear and grind and continue to train your character, but you can't push the world's boundaries and you can't contribute to your guild's reputation and might while you're "dead".

I would find that ok except the part of having to log to a different server.

I wouldn't mind losing the chance of entering PvP for a certain amount of time. However you'd have to find a plot way of explaining this.

Maybe you like a similar idea:
- Zones are owned by a faction.
- Players must win/conquer a zone to be able to pass to the next. (They can only advance one zone at a time, like in strategy games).
- "Dead" players can defend a war zone but can't attack. i.e.: They can be in their own zones and fight anyone who enters but they can't enter an enemy's war zone.
- "Dead" status suggested duration would be an hour.

That way, people will want to stay alive, they'll be able to keep playing if they die and you get a free "too fast moving frontier" balancing force.
Quote:Original post by Derakon
For those who don't believe that the player should be punished, well, risk enhances rewards. When there's more on the line, the gameplay is tenser, and achieving your goals becomes more meaningful.

That's one of the things that happens, yes. Another thing is that players throttle back their playing style, playing more conservatively and advancing through the game more slowly. And a third thing that happens is that players get pissed off.
There's a whole continuum between LEGO Starwars and NetHack. Both of the bookend games have merit, although they attract different types of gamers.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by DerakonFor those who don't believe that the player should be punished, well, risk enhances rewards. When there's more on the line, the gameplay is tenser, and achieving your goals becomes more meaningful.
That's one of the things that happens, yes. Another thing is that players throttle back their playing style, playing more conservatively and advancing through the game more slowly. And a third thing that happens is that players get pissed off.
That really depends on the game, though. For example, if I'm playing Devil May Cry and I die, then I lose my progress on the current mission. To a certain extent I can play more cautiously, for example by spending more time shooting things and less time in melee, but a) I have to take risks to finish the mission, regardless of how I play, and b) a more "cowardly" playstyle has hidden risks, too. For example, the longer I spend in a given fight, the more likely I am to make a mistake and get hit; thus, it's in my own best interests to kill the enemies as quickly as possible. However, cautious play by shooting enemies is a slow way to kill them, so I'm increasing my exposure. In other words, no matter what I do, there will always be danger, so the game retains its tension and excitement.

Now, it's certainly the case that in many modern RPGs, the player can simply retreat to a "safe" zone (where "safe" is defined as "can't be killed unless I leave the computer to go make dinner, without logging out") and beat on fluffy bunnies until they're a lot more powerful. I contend that that's an issue with the game design you've chosen, that you can remove risks by grinding. Certainly in a system like that, a heavy death penalty will make players so risk-averse that they'd rather experience boredom than danger. So one of two things will have to happen - either you change your game so that death is always a possibility, but can be mitigated through skillful play, or you remove the death penalties so that players are willing to risk their skins.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement