Sign in to follow this  
silverphyre673

OpenGL Specifying multiple textures causes only the last one to be usable [A-HA! I suck!]

Bug Squashed. Apparently, I suck at OpenGL. For anyone else who sucks like I do: DON'T try to use glBindTexture in between calls to glBegin and glEnd! I've got a fairly simple program that uses four different textures. I can load all the textures successfully and texture map them. My problem is that when I specify the textures using glTexImage2D, only the last one seems to be usable. Here's a non-code example of what I mean: For four textures stored in files "dirt.png", "grass.png", "road.png", and "water.png", I call the LoadTexture function, which loads the image from the file specified, sets up a new OpenGL texture, and returns the texture ID the texture is bound to. What happens is that no matter which texture I bind using glBindTexture after loading the textures, only the last texture will be displayed. For example, if I loaded the textures above in the above order, and they were given the texture bindings 1, 2, 3, and 4 by glGenTextures, the "water.png" texture would be displayed whether I called glBindTexture with 1, 2, 3, or 4. Furthermore, if I remove the call to load "water.png" as a texture, then "road.png" will be displayed for all textures. I've made sure that the correct values are being passed to glBindTexture when I'm rendering. I think the problem is somewhere in my LoadTexture function. Could you take a look at it, please? Thanks for any help:
bool LoadTexture(const char * file_name, GLuint & texture)
{
	SDL_Surface * tex = IMG_Load(file_name);

if (tex == NULL)
		return false;

glGenTextures(1, &texture);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, tex->w, tex->h, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
		tex->pixels);

SDL_FreeSurface(tex);

return true;
}

You can pretty much ignore the SDL-specific code. I'm pretty confident that the problem is somewhere in my OpenGL code. Thanks a bunch! [Edited by - silverphyre673 on June 5, 2007 12:11:05 PM]

That is a strange problem indeed.
Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried explicitly setting glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); before using glBindTexture ? Maybe the texture units are changed somewhere.

I really dont know, the code you provided should work just fine...

Yep. What I've been doing is calling the LoadTexture function with different offsets of an std::vector<GLuint>, like this:

std::vector<GLuint> TEXTURES;

void LoadTextures()
{
LoadTexture("dirt.png", TEXTURES[0]);
LoadTexture("grass.png", TEXTURES[1]);
LoadTexture("pavement.png", TEXTURES[2]);
LoadTexture("water.png", TEXTURES[3]);
}

After the LoadTextures() function is called, TEXTURES stores the values {1, 2, 3, 4}, as should be expected.

I think I'm just going to forget about using straight OpenGL and go with OGRE instead. Maybe that'll clear up some of these issues...

[EDIT]

Screw it. I just rewrote the image loading code. It looks almost exactly the same to me -- and doesn't look like I changed anything that would have made a different. However, it seems to work now, which makes me a confused panda.

[EDIT #2]

Nevermind. It worked on my test rendering code (just rendering a single quad); I was able to cycle through each texture normally. Unfortunately, when I try to render the map I was originally having issues drawing, I get the same error. I think the problem must be in my drawing code:

//I checked, and the value of top_texture is as it should be for error-free
//code.
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, top_texture);
glTexCoord2f(0.0, 0.0); glVertex3f(x, y, z);
glTexCoord2f(1.0, 0.0); glVertex3f(x + cell_size, y, z);
glTexCoord2f(1.0, 1.0); glVertex3f(x + cell_size, y + cell_size, z);
glTexCoord2f(0.0, 1.0); glVertex3f(x, y + cell_size, z);

[Edited by - silverphyre673 on June 5, 2007 12:42:08 PM]