Sign in to follow this  
TosKeN

OpenGL FBO and Multiple render targets

Hi all, i have a question regarding OpenGL's frame buffer objects and multiple render targets. i set up an fbo and now i wan't to attach two renderable textures to color_attachment0 and color_attachment1 of the fbo. The texture attached to color_attachment0 should be an RGBA Texture with 8 bits per channel and for the second texture i wan't to use a 2 Channel Texture with 16 bits per channel. I'am not so familiar with OpenGL Texture Objects. How can i create a texture with 2 channels and 16 bit per channel? Is it even possible to attach two such different textures to one fbo and render to it? I need it for a Depth of Field effect. In a shader i want to render the color in the first texture and the depth and a blurinnes factor to the 2 chanels of the 16 bit per channel texture. Thank you

Sadly you can only attach textures of the same format to your FBO. I reckon the simplest way is to use two RGBA textures and accept there's some memory being wasted. If that's not acceptable (extremely tight memory) then you'll have to us 2 FBO and 2 rendering passes.

Off the top of my head I think there is a 16 bit per channel RGBA texture format (GL_RGBA16_EXT) but I might be wrong. Perhaps use a floating point texture format if there's no 16 bit format because you'll be wanting to do HDR anyway ;-D