Sign in to follow this  
Rogalon

Angle between two vectors in spherical coordinates (and gradient)

Hi there, I'm searching for a way to determine the angle alpha between two vectors that are given in sphere coordinates. This is what I have come up with so far: The vectors [v and w] can be expressed as: v_x = sin(sigma_v) * cos(theta_v) v_y = sin(sigma_v) * sin(theta_v) v_z = cos(sigma_v) w_x = sin(sigma_w) * cos(theta_w) w_y = sin(sigma_w) * sin(theta_w) w_z = cos(sigma_w) So the angle can be written as: alpha = acos( (v_x*w_x + v_y*w_y + v_z*w_z) / |v| * |w| ) (I denote |v| and |w| as being the length of vector v and w.) This (after applying some trig) simplifies to: alpha = acos(sin(sigma_v)*sin(theta_v)*sin(sigma_w)*sin(theta_w) + sin(sigma_v)*cos(theta_v)*sin(sigma_w)*cos(theta_w) + cos(sigma_v)*cos(sigma_w)) So far, so good - I checked the equation and it seems to behave correctly. My first question would be - is there any way to determine the angle with less calculations? Second question comes right up... To make the following equations a little bit more readable I fixed sigma_v and theta_v to always be 0. If I then want to have the partial diff of the angle on a change of sigma_w. I come up with something like this: alpha'(sigma_w) = -( (sin(sigma_w)*cos(theta_w)) / sqrt(1-cos(sigma_w)^2) ) You see where my problem is? As soon as sigma_w becomes 0 the nominator becomes 0 and the gradient goes right into infinity. That can't be right if you look at the function. (With sigma_v and theta_v fixed at 0, the angle equation becomes alpha = sigma_w...) Can anyone spot my mistake? Grateful greetings, Rogalon

Off the top of my head, I believe you would have some luck with the Law of Cosines. After all, a spherical surface and a flat surface aren't much different in a topological sense. Since the radius of the sphere is 1, you can use radians directly in the equation. What you get is:

alpha2 = sigma_v2 + sigma_w2 - 2(sigma_v)(sigma_w)cos(theta_v - theta_w)

I haven't tested it but my intuition tells me it might work :)

As for your second equation, you definitely made a mistake somewhere. The lengths cancel out of the equation (since they're 1), and you're left with:

alpha = acos(w_z) = acos(cos(sigma_w)) = sigma_w
alpha'(sigma_w) = 1

Hi Zipster,
thanks for your reply. I gave it some thought and as far as I can see your equation would only give me the absolute value of the angle. For the equation I am working on I would need the sign/direction too. Sorry if I didn't make that one clear.

And I guess for the derivative - I didn't make a mistake. I just made a wrong assumption. If I have the signed angle, the derivative is not continuous an sigma_v = sigma_w = 0. The angle function changes the sign at that point and thus has a break, making the derivative go towards infinity.

What do you think? Am I still missing something? If not - do you have any idea on how to "fix" that diff? I want it to be as continous as possible, being 0 at the break. ;-)

Greetings, Roga

Just wanna say this:

You are forgetting the radius on both vector parametrizations. Correct would be:

v_x = Rv * sin(sigma_v) * cos(theta_v)
v_y = Rv * sin(sigma_v) * sin(theta_v)
v_z = Rv * cos(sigma_v)

w_x = Rw * sin(sigma_w) * cos(theta_w)
w_y = Rw * sin(sigma_w) * sin(theta_w)
w_z = Rw * cos(sigma_w)

In case they have same lenght, which would be the unity, then you can just replace |v| and |w| with 1 on your angle formula.

Actually, check your work again. I haven't done it out, but it seems wrong that the partial with respect to sigma_w should depend on theta_w. when the other vector is fixed at <0,0,1>, rotating the other vector around the z-axis doesn't change the angle.