Networking? On a calculator?

Started by
4 comments, last by benryves 16 years, 10 months ago
I am currently working on a multiplayer game for the TI-83 Plus/Silver graphing calculators. The program is server-based, and it utilizes the GetCalc() function to send and receive pings and data. It utilizes a ping system to send information back and forth and maintain a constant rate of information interchange, while keeping both systems at the same network-time by pausing one system while the other finishes calculations. I will be posting the programs on here for further contemplation. (Although almost no one reads the posts in here)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ShotgunNinja
(Although almost no one reads the posts in here)
Actually, many people read the posts in here.

Very few people read the posts on TI-9X graphing calculators, though. That hardware is mostly the domain of early teenagers who are looking for ways to entertain themselves during school.

Quote:Original post by frob

Very few people read the posts on TI-9X graphing calculators, though. That hardware is mostly the domain of early teenagers who are looking for ways to entertain themselves during school.

You seem to imply that the TI calculators are only for ignorant teenagers and that experienced coders are too worthy for such "low-level" programming.

Quote:Original post by minyman22
Quote:Original post by frob

You seem to imply that the TI calculators are only for ignorant teenagers and that experienced coders are too worthy for such "low-level" programming.

Quite the contrary. I never said anything about teenagers being ignorant, nor about the experience of those who program for it. Teenage programmers are often motivated and have the time to devote to learning and developing software. Those who are bored in class and would rather spend the time programming are often more intelligent than many of their peers.

However, the simple facts remain that they mostly are teenagers, and they are still essentially looking for entertainment during school.

Professionals who use the calculators tend to have other diversions available to them.

I imagine that maybe a dozen or two highly rated games at sites like TICalc.org are developed by professionals rather than teenagers looking for ways to entertain themselves, but judging by the quality and quantity of their files, I'd wager it is a small number.
Well, it all depends if you are coding z80 assmebly or TI-Basic. I've kinda wanted to learn some z80 after playing around extensively with IA-32. Don't knock highly motivated teenagers either. Z-tris is the only reason i surivied high school study hall. :)
Take a look at CLAP or Bell for more complex networking on the 83 series.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement