Sign in to follow this  

Which game engine

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a game engine for a school project that has several features 1. can do water / waves 2. is easy to learn 3. has a sound system 4. must be free/ or has special arrangements for students I have experience with programming(2d games) and 3d modeling Now I'm looking at Panda3D or quest3D but I still think there must be something better... Hopefully someone here has some advice Thank you.

It really depends on your needs...

If you simply need a scene that shows-off some water with some sound, you probably don't want to deal with the overhead of a game engine. Just write the OGL or DX code to display your water, use DirectSound or OpenAL for the audio, and be done with it.

If you are actually making a game (maybe a Pirate or naval warfare game or something) you could use Irrlicht or OGRE for the graphics engine (you may want to do that in either case), or maybe a full professional but cheap GAME engine like Torque.

Torque will run you about $100, if I recall.

Of course, there is middle ground. There are TONS of game engines out there, some free, some not, some which meet your needs, some not.

Usually I would not respond to a post dealing with school, but this one seems innocent enough. Advice surrounding tools isn't cheating.

I have found the irrlicht engine to be one of the easiest to learn. There are some great tutorials, even those dealing with water.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.