Sign in to follow this  

meshes ingame

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm writing an engine for a specific type of game. It shall be highly moddable by users. a) What is the best model format that anyone can edit (i.e. there are enough converter for it) and supports both bone and/or morphing animation? b) is there a tutorial how to use models in a game? Basically I don't understand how animation works... until now I've only used vertex buffers with data from my code. Thanks in advance

A) There are ton's of file formats, OBJ might be the best bet but there are tons. Proprietaries are sometimes the best. I went to GDC this year and I saw an interesting XML based model/animation formatting system that also managed content like an SVN/CVS system, buttt I have no clue what it was called.

B) Holy snap you have one of the most painful roads ahead of you. Animation can be a pain in the @$$ to deal with and make efficient. I'd recommend looking up RobTheBloke, he has a lot of maya export information but it might be useful for how animation systems work. If you know nothing it could be painful but you basically have to transform it yourself either on the CPU or a Shader (they both have their benefits). You could use some built in DX stuff but it is all a big mess.

Google it :D, I know this all didn't help. Look up tutorials for how-to do smooth skinning/rigid skinning and vertex morphing animation and hierarchical animation.

Goooood luck, if you have more questions do post a reply,
Stephen Timothy Cooney

Basically I'm looking for a wide spread file format that is capable of bones and morphing animation and an easy to implement library for d3dx meshes.

Thanks for your help anyway

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.