Sign in to follow this  
thedustbustr

embedding IE in a graphics context

I need to know if this is possible. I want to be able to embed a web page in a 3D engine (may or may not use OGL but you can go ahead and assume that if it matters). I want to be able to have IE embedded on a wall of a room, so that you can walk up to it with a first person camera and interact with it or any embedded apps (for example, google maps). it would be ideal if I could convince windows to render IE to a framebuffer, put that into a texture, and render through OGL as a texture, so I could do perspective transforms. I'm not too worried about it looking good.

It's unlikely to be possible with IE, which expects to be playing with GDI stuff. Instead, check out Gecko, LLMozLib and uBrowser.

I've never tried that but I'd try to instance a generic IE control, capture it's image, convert to texture and apply.

The only step that I think could fail is the first. At worst you could take an open source explorer and poke it until it renders to a texture. (or does it have to be specifically IE).