Chaos Game Engine

Started by
37 comments, last by Promit 16 years, 10 months ago
I would like to make sure everyone here is fully aware that the "Chaos Game Engine" and anything associated with its company, the owners, and all software are a scam. Colton Burgess is the well known con artist responsible for the game Mourning. Also known by many other names this game and the engine are far from legit. Please, if you are able spread the word on this, far too many media sites are propagating this tricksters lies and the only conclusion is for more people to be duped. Once everyone learns how to recognize this guy and his various scams it will be easy to shut his attempts down. Need more info? Head over to www.mmorpg.com or search google and start doing your own research.
Advertisement
Ok.
... Thanks.

*files that away*

Actually, without brow-beating, could you instead say specifically what you mean, just for those who care and for your own credibility? Honestly, I see something called "Chaos Engine" and my deciding response is to back away. The name sounds not-right. My opinion.
I barely got any hits searching on good for "Chaos game engine". Didn't find anything besides their own press release. Its website certainly makes a lot of bold claims though..

EDIT: The feature list" pdf from the website is odd. Lots of typos/grammar errors/sentences that don't make any sense, and continues claiming AMAZING while at the same time offering just about zero technical information, or any other important information for that matter. It does have screenshots of what appear to be functional editors though. Seems awfully suspicious anyway. To the OP, do you have any direct links about how this is a scam?
Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file
I barely got any hits searching on good for "Chaos game engine". Didn't find anything besides their own press release. Its website certainly makes a lot of bold claims though..

EDIT: The feature list" pdf from the website is odd. Lots of typos/grammar errors/sentences that don't make any sense, and continues claiming AMAZING while at the same time offering just about zero technical information, or any other important information for that matter. It does have screenshots of what appear to be functional editors though. Seems awfully suspicious anyway. To the OP, do you have any direct links about how this is a scam?
Here is an interview at mmosite.com, and it looks like tunabun has comments at the bottom.

Again, the accusation's there, but where's the evidence? Where's the scam?

EDIT: Actually, I did find one link that has something interesting: Here, this Colton Burgess is asked directly about this engine/platform/thingy. It basically uses OpenGL and zoning. Yay.

Scam might be the wrong word to use, here.

[Edited by - Benjamin Heath on June 5, 2007 9:24:57 PM]
Looks like it does appear to be some sort of scam (mmorpg.com)

Looks like it has gone under the names Age of Mourning and Thones of Chaos in the past. They do have some pretty screenshots though so I would be surprised if a reputable publisher wouldn't be interested in talking to them to get the game polished and published.

[Edited by - ViLiO on June 5, 2007 10:32:43 PM]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by tunabun
I would like to make sure everyone here is fully aware that the "Chaos Game Engine" and anything associated with its company, the owners, and all software are a scam.

Colton Burgess is the well known con artist responsible for the game Mourning. Also known by many other names this game and the engine are far from legit. Please, if you are able spread the word on this, far too many media sites are propagating this tricksters lies and the only conclusion is for more people to be duped.

Once everyone learns how to recognize this guy and his various scams it will be easy to shut his attempts down.

Need more info? Head over to www.mmorpg.com or search google and start doing your own research.

I felt the need to address this ridiculous claim that the Chaos Game Engine is a fraud. The Chaos Game engine was purchased from Loud Ant Software over 6 months ago along with assets from a mmog game called Thrones of Chaos. The game Thrones of Chaos has been dismantled and all the assets have been sold to third parties. The game Thrones of Chaos had a long history of problems, none of which we were any apart of. The engine and tools, which was the main reason we purchased the assets, is the product we have salvaged and continue to develop.

There is a PDF on our site which outlines the general features. There is also an engine demonstration which prospective companies look at before they purchase the technology. We are not selling a low end hobbyist solution here and companies do their due diligence when purchasing technology of this cost.

I invite anyone to contact me with any questions they may have about the engine or any questions in general. I have explained all this to this tunabun person before and even offered to talk to him on the phone, but he rather continues to spread his nonsense.

Thank you,
Troy Powell
Chaos Software
troy@chaosgameengine.com
www.chaosgameengine.com
Phone: 800-384-5913
Fax: 866-855-9806

[Edited by - troypowell on June 6, 2007 3:30:53 PM]
I don't have much to say except that your features PDF has several spelling mistakes (e.g., multyplayer, sistem).
NOTE: Since you talk about yourself as a serious company who plan to sell real software, I won't really try to be nice, because honestly what you have doesn't look professional at all.

Quote:and an engine demo

You mean the screenshots? While it's nice to see some work done it just doesn't seem like a lot considering what the chaos engine tries to be.

Quote:as well as documents which prospective companies can look at before they purchase the full version of the engine.

Non-public right? If they are public where do we find them?

Quote:We are not selling a low end engine here and believe me when i say companies do their due diligence when purchasing an engine of this cost.

What companies have bought it? In an interview on mmosite.com one unnamed client is mentioned, but that is it. Also could you give us any hint about the cost or is that secret? I'm curious whether you try to sell it at the same price as engines like the Unreal Engine or if you are in the $1,000-$10,000 range.

Honestly everything about the Chaos Engine looks like a scam. Links in focus on your page is basically the same color as the background; great design! I don't know if it's a Firefox issue, but the headings look terrible too because there is a problem with the images (a great deal of professional developers use Firefox). Looking at the background of your document you don't seem to grasp the problems with scaling a small pixel-based image to be much larger.

Also I suggest proof-reading your documents before releasing them. You spelled system wrong for gods sake (like 10 times). You spelled development wrong which is in your page header. You use terminology which I doubt you understand yourself, for instance what the heck is object oriented trees? You mean a tree working with objects? Then you just say tree, but a tree isn't really a collision detection implementation. Also there isn't a standard "range-based" collision detection algorithm so saying stuff like that gives us no information whatsoever. What are chargeable settings by the way? If you make up your own words and phrases you really need to explain them. I don't go out saying I have a new game featuring "clothes-increase-shade-buffers accelerated by a tree BUS with my innovative bit-based algorithm"

You make stupid statements like saying Lua (which you spelled wrong by the way) is the best language. A professional company don't make stupid statements like that.

A Linux-based server? Way to go for a big audience. You really let the developers get their own vision.

It's also kind of a problem that you provide no real information at all in that document. You don't even mention shaders once. You need to convince developers, not players.

If I was looking for an engine I doubt I would even contact you.
Original post by troypowell
Quote:Original post by CTar
NOTE: Since you talk about yourself as a serious company who plan to sell real software, I won't really try to be nice, because honestly what you have doesn't look professional at all.

Quote:and an engine demo

You mean the screenshots? While it's nice to see some work done it just doesn't seem like a lot considering what the chaos engine tries to be.

Quote:as well as documents which prospective companies can look at before they purchase the full version of the engine.

Non-public right? If they are public where do we find them?

Quote:We are not selling a low end engine here and believe me when i say companies do their due diligence when purchasing an engine of this cost.

What companies have bought it? In an interview on mmosite.com one unnamed client is mentioned, but that is it. Also could you give us any hint about the cost or is that secret? I'm curious whether you try to sell it at the same price as engines like the Unreal Engine or if you are in the $1,000-$10,000 range.

Honestly everything about the Chaos Engine looks like a scam. Links in focus on your page is basically the same color as the background; great design! I don't know if it's a Firefox issue, but the headings look terrible too because there is a problem with the images (a great deal of professional developers use Firefox). Looking at the background of your document you don't seem to grasp the problems with scaling a small pixel-based image to be much larger.

Also I suggest proof-reading your documents before releasing them. You spelled system wrong for gods sake (like 10 times). You spelled development wrong which is in your page header. You use terminology which I doubt you understand yourself, for instance what the heck is object oriented trees? You mean a tree working with objects? Then you just say tree, but a tree isn't really a collision detection implementation. Also there isn't a standard "range-based" collision detection algorithm so saying stuff like that gives us no information whatsoever. What are chargeable settings by the way? If you make up your own words and phrases you really need to explain them. I don't go out saying I have a new game featuring "clothes-increase-shade-buffers accelerated by a tree BUS with my innovative bit-based algorithm"

You make stupid statements like saying Lua (which you spelled wrong by the way) is the best language. A professional company don't make stupid statements like that.

A Linux-based server? Way to go for a big audience. You really let the developers get their own vision.

It's also kind of a problem that you provide no real information at all in that document. You don't even mention shaders once. You need to convince developers, not players.

If I was looking for an engine I doubt I would even contact you.

Thanks for the input. We have a 800 meg demo and the screen shots are from within the demo. I do apologize for the errors in the documents. English is my second language and I made the mistake of writing the documentation for the website; we are getting that fixed right now. We have sold 3 licenses so far. Our engine has not sold then less 50,000 usd a license. This is why it is hard for me to believe anyone would think this is a scam. The companies do a lot of research and want to see many things before they make a purchase.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement