City level editor

Started by
6 comments, last by Ravuya 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm trying to make a game with a big city. It is similar to GTA, mafia, need for speed, midtown madness, etc. I'm considering how to implement the city level editor. Should I implement it inside a 3d modeler(e.g. 3ds max, maya)? If so, what features should my plugins provides? I've totally no clue. Someone please help me. Thanks.
Advertisement
There are plenty of different ways to approach this and it will depend a lot on exactly what you are trying to achieve, but what I did for my game (a RPG not a GTA clone) was to build the level editor inside the game engine. All the game objects (buildings, trees, whatever) are loaded into the engine and then I've created a series of tools that allow me to position them in game before saving them to a map tile file (effectively a level file). Not too difficult really because the tools were based on game 'functionality' - I needed to be able to pick objects in game so picking objects in the editor was a no brainer, etc.

As the editor and the game are using the same engine it makes testing quick and easy, you have a WYSIWYG editor and you don't need to develop any plug ins (just mirror the level loading code so you can save as well).
Jon.
Because my city will be non-tile, I think let the artist editing the mesh separately, and import it into the editor will be troublesome. And the things I wanted to do, is implement path node generations of the road, building modeling, etc
I wonder how the commercial games implement their city editor.
Do you know about the city editor of GTA, Mafia, Need of speed, midtown madness, driver, or similar game?
Thanks.
They probably just use 3DS Max or something similar and write a custom exporter for the format.
Hi,
I problem I encounter is, road generation.
I've to gen. a road network for AI path finding. And it should be automatic, otherwise, one piece of road has to be drawn twice. One for the mesh, one for the AI path finding.
I don't know how to make this process to be automatic. Does someone have a clue? Does someone make a game encounter similar problem?
Thanks.
You would probably have to "flag" the road polygons as being "road" somehow. I'm not familiar with the Max toolchain, your plugins or your game application, so I can't offer any more advice than that.

I do recommend you separate the pathing information from the polygon information, though. There's several cases where you would have to have paths divergent from the strict street direction in a driving simulator (for example, parking, changing lanes, left hand turns).
Thanks for your advice.
I decided to implement a system, to generate the path from spline, which is independent from the road polygon.
Thanks
Excellent. That's pretty much what I would've done.

Make sure to post some screenshots on Image of the Day when you're closer to finishing. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement