Large textures (1024x1024) and hardware support

Started by
2 comments, last by Black Knight 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello! We are using 1024x1024 jpeg images for backgrounds in our 2d game which is using a Direct3D8 engine. Are there cards which do not support this texture size? If that is the case, will DirectX split it up internally? I guess we could split them up manually, but I am afraid of what the jpeg compression would do with the corners.
Advertisement
You can check out lot of info about video hardware/driver limitations on this site: http://delphi3d.net/hardware/listreports.php
There is information about OpenGL, but I think texture size limitations are same also for DX.
There is an pdf and xls in the DirectX SDK with such informations for many cards. Go to Samples\C++\Direct3D\ConfigSystem
Instead of splitting the image you can use low resolution textures for cards which don't support 1024x1024.
Both OGL and D3D has ways to check the maximum texture size the GFX card supports.
(DEVICECAPS in D3D,and glGet(GL_MAXIMUM_TEXTURE_SIZE) in GL(not sure about these though))
So if the card doesnt support 1024 you can use the 512 texture etc.You will lose some quality ,but you won't have the edge problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement