Sign in to follow this  
SiS-Shadowman

Animation related questions

I've several questions related to animations, models etc. I've just finished my MD5 loader and I can now display MD5 Models, run animations etc. But I'm unshure, how a character for example can hold a specific weapon. This guy for example, holds his weapon in the right place, but only because the weapon is "attached" to the bone at his hand. The wrench mesh contains information for transforming the wrench vertices based on the skeleton. Thus the bones from the skeleton hand are important. If I want to attach another weapon to this guy's hand, the weapon would also need this kind of information. But if the skeleton for different characters do not stay the same? Then I would need different weapons for each of the skeletons. Pretty messed up. Does anyone know a good Idea how to "attach" such objects to an animated model, or know a way how to prevent the problem, described above?

It's common practice for a studio to establish a convention of how to set things up, like all hand attach point bones are named x, all muzzle flash bones on the weapon named x, etc. It does sound odd what you describe. What sort of information does the wrench have encoded into it that is reliant on the characters skeleton, other than the bone to attach to which is common practice?

I meant the bones, when I said the skeleton.
The thing is, that the wrench for example has a collection of "weights", which describe how the vertices are influenced by the bones. The corresponding bones however, are encoded with an index, and not with the bone's name. Thus, I would have problems with a different skeleton, since the indices wouldn't match. I know it would be possible to adopt the file format, but there should be another way, ID software also managed it.

This would be a part of an entry for the weights:
numweights 76
weight 0 65 1 ( 6.8409543037 1.406822443 19.2621154785 )
weight 1 65 1 ( 6.4341831207 0.8882308602 20.7585258484 )
weight 2 65 1 ( 5.2225246429 0.1193606853 21.2851219177 )

65 is the bone/joint index for this vertex and 1 is the bias (influence) factor for the bone/joint.