Buy game source code

Started by
28 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I need buy some game source code, can someone recomend some page for buy it. Thank.
Advertisement
No, no, no. You CAN'T buy source code. Period. Now you can look for source code that's been released as Open Source and learn, steal, copy, blatantly rip off to your heart's content. But buying source code, does not, I repeat DOES NOT exist as an option.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Well, you can buy it, if the company is willing to sell it.

But the costs will quickly go to millions of dollars, since you're effectively buying the product.

There's also companies which offer source code licensing, where, for a much smaller fee, along with limited support. I believe Unreal engine can be licensed with full source code. And even there it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The only other alternative for source code is Open Source Software, which may or may not require purchasing of license for commercial use.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
No, no, no. You CAN'T buy source code. Period. Now you can look for source code that's been released as Open Source and learn, steal, copy, blatantly rip off to your heart's content. But buying source code, does not, I repeat DOES NOT exist as an option.

Why can't you buy it?
and erm No No No you can't "...steal, copy, blatantly rip off to your heart's content." you still have to respect the licence.
You didn't mention why you want to waste your money buying some code, but I feel compelled to point that source code, alone, is a completely terrible learning mechanism. I don't care if you think think "learn better" by looking at code, you're wrong. Or rather, you might be right -- you might learn something better, but what you are learning will likely be incorrect, misguided, misunderstood, or just plain wrong. Source code is devoid of any contextual information that helps you understand why a particular choice was made, and you're working purely on the assumption that the source code is good (which it very often is not, or if it is, is good for a particular purpose that is different than your own, et cetera). And as somebody attempting to learn, you are obviously not qualified to determine if the code is good or not.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now, but if you're thinking about buying code in some misguided attempt to educate yourself, I strongly suggest you look elsewhere. If not, you can ignore my post (although I still think it's a waste of your money).
I need almost 100 games for a business but and develop it myself I need a long time and I have not time. Because of this I am trying to buy it.
Thanks.
Quote:Original post by jtorres
I need almost 100 games for a business but and develop it myself I need a long time and I have not time. Because of this I am trying to buy it.
Thanks.

Oh! Well since you put it that way...

Quote:Original post by dmail
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

Why can't you buy it?
and erm No No No you can't "...steal, copy, blatantly rip off to your heart's content." you still have to respect the licence.

That assuming you're distributing it or the game made from it. If it's for your own personal, private use, then the above applies without alteration.

Plus, does this guy strikes you as part of a professional game studio looking for an engine to license?

Quote:Original post by jtorres
Thanks.

...what are you talking about? You're...you want to buy the source for 100 games and sell them under a different name/publisher?
People sellmy your source codes, write me to jose.torresgomez@gmail.com and put your price. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement