Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello and thanks for reading. I'm wondering if I should begin with a languages that, for the most part, has most of the power of c++ but has a much lesser load of lower level work. I want the freedom and power of c++, but I want a faster learning experience, one that isn't taxed by the gritty parts of a language. I have all the time in the world, but I don't have the patience I should. Perhaps I should get up and running as fast as I can with a particular language, then decide to proceed with learning c++. Thoughts? Ideas?

Another option is to use one of the free game engines (I recommend starting with 2D) listed in the beginners FAQ. SDL, for example, is pretty popular, well documented and has a large user community. This will allow you to learn C++ on a higher level and gradually work to a lower level as your skills evolve.

Quote:
Original post by Ezzaral
C#, Java, or Python.

Quote:
Original post by argonaut
Another option is to use one of the free game engines (I recommend starting with 2D) listed in the beginners FAQ. SDL, for example, is pretty popular, well documented and has a large user community. This will allow you to learn C++ on a higher level and gradually work to a lower level as your skills evolve.

The two suggestions are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they're very compatible. The biggest two obstacles between you and realisation of your game design are the language and the API. Of course, they're also your two biggest assets, but choosing them wisely often makes the difference between a complete project and a waste of time.

Popular recommendations include Python & PyGame, for the most comfortable learning curve, and C# & XNA for more of a deep-end experience. By comparison, C++ & Direct3D is a shark-infested undertow-ridden lava pit. That's not to say you should avoid the pair altogether - they make a great team - but if you'd rather spend your time learning to program (and not battling with your compiler/linker/API/low-level-resources) then look elsewhere.

Edit: In light of your user-name, I'm left wondering if my lava analogy was subconscious or entirely coincidental [looksaround].

Admiral

Quote:
Original post by TheAdmiral
Edit: In light of your user-name, I'm left wondering if my lava analogy was subconscious or entirely coincidental [looksaround].

Admiral

Yeah that came to mind while reading it, probably subconscious. On the other hand, it could be fate in the sense that I'm a lava jumper!

Quote:
Original post by TheAdmiral
Popular recommendations include Python & PyGame, for the most comfortable learning curve, and C# & XNA for more of a deep-end experience. By comparison, C++ & Direct3D is a shark-infested undertow-ridden lava pit. That's not to say you should avoid the pair altogether - they make a great team - but if you'd rather spend your time learning to program (and not battling with your compiler/linker/API/low-level-resources) then look elsewhere.

sounds daunting :|

It's a really tuff call, but I think I'll start with C++ and switch over to C# or Python if I get too uncomfortable.

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.