Diablo II - Quick survey, if you don't mind.

Started by
30 comments, last by TythosEternal 16 years, 10 months ago
1. Yes! If it was the same game, only a different theme, then yes definitely. I like both Warcraft and Starcraft, so sci-fi Diablo would have worked as well.

1.1. I actually prefer sci-fi/dark future over fantasy.

2. Yes, a few things. It's annoying that stats and skills can't be rerolled, which means that if you mess something up you have to restart your character. Also, all bugs involved when playing on Battle.net has been annoying, like player killing, disconnects, duped items, etc.

3. Everything else!

4. Yes, for many years.

4.1. -
Advertisement
Alot of people liked Diablo II. Are you one of those, and would you mind answering some simple questions?

1. - If Diablo II had been a different genre (design) like Sci-Fi or modern, would you still have played it? Maybe. It would have needed to draw me into it.

1.1 - If so, which genre would you prefer? I like modern themed fantasy eg: Buffy / Angel.. but modern on it's own, isn't a genre, it's a setting.

2. - Is there anything special that you can recall ontop of your head that bothered you? Not Diablo specific, but I hate point and click control in these types of games. I much prefer using the controller. If I want to walk, I push the analog stick, if I want to run, I push it further. Than I have all my other buttons that are mapped to specific actions, instead of having to drag the mouse to the bottom of the screen to choose a new spell. [roll] I hate that 'click on a spot ten feet in front of you to run there at full speed and come to a sudden stop' control scheme. I'm not playing as the robot from the Jetsons!

3. - Anything that you really liked? It's very fun and accessible. It doesn't subscribe to all these inane theories I see posted here about how to punish players severely for messing up.

4. - Did you play Closed Battle.net? It's the best way to play. All the best item drops and boss spawns are on Battle.net. The single player just isn't the same. Nothing beats running around the Cow stage with a few other players.
Alot of people liked Diablo II. Are you one of those, and would you mind answering some simple questions?

1. - If Diablo II had been a different genre (design) like Sci-Fi or modern, would you still have played it?

A. - Sure. Diablo 2 has a great story. Although the gameplay could have been worked better, it was and still is a great game.

1.1 - If so, which genre would you prefer?

A. - Sci-Fi, absolutely. Actually, for the Blizzard fans out there, all three franchises (StarCraft, WarCraft, and Diablo are supposed to be based on the same general story idea and supposedly those games are more close-knit than fans even realize.

2. - Is there anything special that you can recall ontop of your head that bothered you?

A. - The fact that each class had it's own skill/spell structure. It was one major minus for me compared to the original. Also, the lack of dialog compared to the first one as well.

3. - Anything that you really liked?

A. - Waypoints, Running (if you played the original, you know what I'm talking about), the cube and transmuting, the skill/spell system (it was a double-edged sword).

4. - Did you play Closed Battle.net?

A. - Yes, many level 99 characters. The friends list was potentially one of the best things that they have on battle.net.

4.1. - If not, did you play multiplayer at all? Please describe why.

A. - I played LAN, closed, open, and single player. I have to say that, without the cheating and hacks that people get, it is a great game. People tend to ruin games like Diablo.

Thanks!

Side note - Vampyre_Dark, if you played the original on PS (1997), you would like the controller scheme (I believe). You did lose a few things, but even the multiplayer design to the game was well thought out. It is a rather hard game to find, and when I bought my replacement copy of it, it cost me 30 for a mint/used copy. Just thought that you might like that information.

Side note 2 - Personally, if you are looking at creating something along the lines of Diablo 2, you might want to look at dialog. Make it more RPG rather than Point and Click/Hack and Slash. That was my only problem with the Diablo games. But than again, you never did say anything, you just listened. Plus they have Cain. The best in-game storyteller!
Intel Pentium D Processor 830 w/2 cores running at 3.0 GHz4 GiGs Kingston DDR2 MemoryNVidia GeForce 8600 GTS250 GiG SATA Hard drive400 GiG SATA Hard drive
Thanks everyone. If anyone else has anything further to add, please do!

I find it interesting to see that most people agree that the skill system was too permanent once you used it.

Quote:Original post by Akira52803
Side note 2 - Personally, if you are looking at creating something along the lines of Diablo 2, you might want to look at dialog. Make it more RPG rather than Point and Click/Hack and Slash. That was my only problem with the Diablo games. But than again, you never did say anything, you just listened. Plus they have Cain. The best in-game storyteller!

Bringing in more dialog than the little we already have would mean more voice-overs, something we can't afford right now. I'll keep it in mind though and thanks again for your suggestion!
1. - If Diablo II had been a different genre (design) like Sci-Fi or modern, would you still have played it?

- Probably not, I really liked the environments, mostly on Act1. Also I favor the dark fantasy setting.

2. - Is there anything special that you can recall ontop of your head that bothered you?

- Act 3, I hated that little dudes.

- Cube, variety of items, multiplayer

- No.

- I played with my girlfriend a lot, and sometimes with other friends. After seeing this post, we'll probably play again if I can get her out of WoW.
1. No

2. not enough storage space for items in the stash.

3. special sets (green, yellow.. etc), and my druid "getafix"

4. No

4.1. Yes lan. to swap out items between characters so i could get sets and gems
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
Quote:Original post by Akira52803
Side note - Vampyre_Dark, if you played the original on PS (1997), you would like the controller scheme (I believe). You did lose a few things, but even the multiplayer design to the game was well thought out. It is a rather hard game to find, and when I bought my replacement copy of it, it cost me 30 for a mint/used copy. Just thought that you might like that information.
I have Dark Alliance on PS2 for that. Pretty much a Diablo 2 knockoff, but a very enjoyable one. They made a ton of games with that engine. I hate the point/click/path-find setup for player movement. All the players have such unnatural movements. Instead of just naturally walking to places, they are constantly running in short bursts, stopping, and running again in different direction lol. More of a design issue than a keyboard / mouse vs controller thing.

Yes, great game, but far from perfect.

1. Sure, I actually prefer futuristic sci-fi games. Just wish there were more sci-fi RPGs (Fallout rocks)

1.1 Well, as I said.

2. Hehe, lots. Item hunting sucked (ex: kill a bird and get a sword when your barbarian specializes in axes... Does anyone know what species of bird carries swords?) No ability to customize your character to a certain situation because you can only store very limited equipment. Booooring-ass NPC's and not enough in-town interactivity. The game is interesting as hell because you constantly have upgrades and things you find along the way until Act III which drags on and on (in act III you only do one thing, level).

3. Character building was a huge draw for me. I've played all the classes and you have a lot of options how you build 'em up. I think customizability or player creation in any game should be mandatory. I don't want to lose a battle because the supplied configuration failed, I want to lose/win because of MY configuration. The game also supplied a constant stream of things-to-do. It was hard to leave the game because you were either nearing a level where you could get more spells or were going to attain something new (equipment, gems, Deckard Cain). Transmuting. Pretty graphics. Great sounds/music. Variety. =)

4. Nope.

4.1 My girlfriend isn't a gamer at all but we play this game across my network to this day. It's accessible enough for her, a casual gamer, and complex enough for me.

You're welcome. ;-)
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Quote:Original post by SymLinked

Yes, absolutely.

Excluding fantasy? hummm... hard question. The strangest the better. A dream world, some kind of strange sci-fy, cavemen, ... If I didn't think of it I'll probably like it.

No. Any effort to correct something from DiabloII will probably create something that bothers me.
- Adding good things (sacred, titan quest) = good.
- Trying to outsmart diabloII = bad.

Starcraft, Civilization, GalCiv, Pirates!; there are games so well done you can barely touch without making them worse.

Playing it. Seriously, I can play any action rpg for a long time unless it's real crap. If it's good, I can play for months or years.

No. I like to have the people I play cooperative games with in the same building. Net playing is for stranger pwning in fps, strategy, etc...

Yes. Ease of implementing smooth cooperation mechanisms is one of the reasons I love action rpgs.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

It seems impossible to say. If Diablo II had used a different genre, it would have been a different game. If it didn't suck, I'd have played it.
Quote:

Any genre which didn't make the game suck.
Quote:

Walking a really long way with nothing to do. That was really annoying.
Quote:

Blowing stuff up?
Quote:

No.
Quote:

No. It never occurred to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement