Diablo II - Quick survey, if you don't mind.

Started by
30 comments, last by TythosEternal 16 years, 10 months ago
(offtopic)
I really don't understand people who doesn't play in bnet. Diablo2 is sooooo boring by soloing, story repeats itself very quickly and there's so few char builds which can solo Hell's Baal.
(/offtopic)
Advertisement
If you were in charge, would you change the way your character moves? The way the player moves in "Hellgate London" reminds me of "Tomb Raider" or "Max Payne", where you strafe with the keyboard and rotate with the mouse and the camera stays ontop and a bit behind the character. Would you prefer this, or the regular click and play found in Diablo 1 and 2?

Please also name any other favourite games of yours, should you decide to answer the first question.

Thanks guys, you are tons helpful.
Quote:Original post by SymLinked
If you were in charge, would you change the way your character moves? The way the player moves in "Hellgate London" reminds me of "Tomb Raider" or "Max Payne", where you strafe with the keyboard and rotate with the mouse and the camera stays ontop and a bit behind the character. Would you prefer this, or the regular click and play found in Diablo 1 and 2?

Yes. (Neverwinter Nights, for example, allows for both styles.)
Quote:
Please also name any other favourite games of yours, should you decide to answer the first question.

Of the shooty-bashy genre:

* Halo 2
* Half-life 2
* Gears of War
* Neverwinter Nights
* Quake 4
* FarCry
* Deus Ex

In general, a game impresses me if there are multiple ways to beat the challenges it presents. Also, a high degree of customisability helps to keep my interest for a long time. The fact that Neverwinter Nights comes with the editor used to create the main campaign is part of the reason it's still on my hard drive. A Diablo-esque game which let me create armor, weapons, dungeon layouts, monsters, and easily share them with my friends would definitely attract my money.

Thanks guys, you are tons helpful.

I've never been into 3rd-person 3D. I think the view/control should depend on the game itself. With an overhead view like Diablo, the mouse is fine. Once you start increasing the action, keyboard controls become handy (such as an overhead shooter).

Some of my all-time favorites would be:
- Elite
- Mechwarrior 2
- Warcraft II
- X-Wing/Tie-Fighter
- Grim Fandango
- Wizard's Crown
- Super Mario Brothers 3
- Metroid
- Doom (not much by today's standards but it was ground-reaking for 1993)
- Half-life
- Quake II

Btw, back to your original question... Another thing I remember that I really liked about DII is that it was mathematical and certain abilities/items could be synergistically combined.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
1 - Maybe, but the fantasy genre is by far my favorite.
1.1 - Modern.
2 - Hacked items/cheats/bots in closed b.net. Blizzard's lack of enforcement in banning CD-Keys by cheaters. Dated graphics at the release.. (800x600 was hi-res?)
3 - Gameplay, co-op multiplayer, lot of loot.
4 - Yes, exclusively.

..and I'd buy a Diablo III immediately upon release. If it had Guild Wars' graphics and Diablo 2 gameplay, with much more content/crafting/loot, it'd be a killer.

I'm stuck playing WoW & Guild Wars until then.. and as long as Blizzard is making a killing with WoW, they won't ruin their investment by releasing a Diablo 3. Unfortunately for us.

It depends a lot on what kind of Rogue-like game you are planning on making. The mouse control works well for Diablo, although having move and attack mapped to the same mouse button can cause annoyances if you don't always have your finger on the "stand in place" button.

I haven't seen the play style of Hellgate London but I have played Tomb Raider and Max Payne, and that kind of camera style works well for that type of action game, although it might have problems if there is a tendency for enemies to swarm in from behind.

I'd like to make a Rogue-like game myself someday, but based it around gamepad controls (and the keyboard equivalent); having a D-pad (or arrow keys) for movement and up to four action buttons. Such a control limitation means that the game involve less precision ranged attacks and more melee fighting, with a simpler range of options due to the control limitations.

It depends on whether you want an action game or a tactical game, and something with a simpler control scheme over something far more complex.
I didn't read any other replies but what kind of post is this? Lol. Basically your asking if Diablo II was a completely different type of game, would you still play it. I'm sorry whats the point of this?
Quote:Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
I didn't read any other replies but what kind of post is this? Lol. Basically your asking if Diablo II was a completely different type of game, would you still play it. I'm sorry whats the point of this?

The point is to detect what exactly was that made different people like it; to know how different it can be done without losing the public.

It's quite a simple method, keep asking "Would you like it without A? Would you like it without B?", then, keep the things most people agree on and change the rest. You get a game as different as possible that still appeals to a certain type of gamer.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
It depends a lot on what kind of Rogue-like game you are planning on making. The mouse control works well for Diablo, although having move and attack mapped to the same mouse button can cause annoyances if you don't always have your finger on the "stand in place" button.

I never used "stand in place" other than for melee attacks in doorways. I see your point though.

Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I haven't seen the play style of Hellgate London but I have played Tomb Raider and Max Payne, and that kind of camera style works well for that type of action game, although it might have problems if there is a tendency for enemies to swarm in from behind.

Think more of how the character moves. Keep the camera of Diablo with just the addition that when the player changes direction, the camera does too.

The character would always face "up" in the case of 2D, vs regular Diablo style where the character faces whatever direction you clicked and the camera keeps its rotation. This would open up for strafing, for instance.

You following? Just bouncing ideas here. Might not work in practice, just curious what people think. It shouldn't have to be so complex.
"Stand in place" is not terribly helpful for melee, but it's incredibly useful for characters that have ranged attacks bound to their left mouse button (Amazons in particular, but also some Sorceresses, Leap Attack barbarians, and anyone who's borrowing a bow).
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement