Diablo II - Quick survey, if you don't mind.

Started by
30 comments, last by TythosEternal 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by SymLinked
Alot of people liked Diablo II. Are you one of those, and would you mind answering some simple questions?

1. - If Diablo II had been a different genre (design) like Sci-Fi or modern, would you still have played it?

Probably not (see explanation below)

Quote:1.1 - If so, which genre would you prefer?

The only other genre I could have seen it fitting into would have been traditional fantasy. Modern and sci-fi place more emphasis on ranged attacks. A large part of Diablo is melee and up-close crowd control.

Quote:2. - Is there anything special that you can recall ontop of your head that bothered you?

Late in the game, there's a very strong emphasis on earning resistances. Many common enemies by that point have attacks which will kill you three times over if you only have 100% resistance. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of play.

Quote:3. - Anything that you really liked?

I think their skill trees were well planned and very well balanced. There were plenty of balancing issues still present in the game, but I think Blizzard did a fantastic job overall with this.

Quote:4. - Did you play Closed Battle.net?

Nope.

Quote:4.1. - If not, did you play multiplayer at all? Please describe why.

Im a casual gamer. Although I adore games, I don't play them constantly. As such, I generally avoid online multiplayer games simply because I can't compete with individuals who are, for lack of a better word, semi-professional gamers.

Quote:Thanks!

Sure thing.
Advertisement
Quote:
1. - If Diablo II had been a different genre (design) like Sci-Fi or modern, would you still have played it?

Yes, usually I do not like SciFi settings very much. But I played very much Starcraft at that time. And I am sure that a SciFi Diablo by Blizzard would be fun too.

Quote:
1.1 - If so, which genre would you prefer?

No special preference.

Quote:
2. - Is there anything special that you can recall ontop of your head that bothered you?

"Act 3" :)

And the fixed skill system, if you made a mistake with your skills in the first 5 minutes of Gameplay you are stuck to that for ever.

Cow-Level (a nice easter egg that became a Leveling/Itemhunting zone.)

Quote:
3. - Anything that you really liked?

Itemhunting, Trading, cooperative play with friends, the story, the videos.

Quote:
4. - Did you play Closed Battle.net?

95% closed b.net / 5% LAN with friends

Quote:
4.1. - If not, did you play multiplayer at all? Please describe why.

I played in closed b.net, but often allone. I sometimes hated it if someone picks up all items and stuff like that. The multiplayer mode was nice if you played together with friends. But playing openly with everyone had some things I didnt liked.

1. - Yes, but I think the fantasy genre was the best setting.

1.1 - Second best? Hard to say, given the appeal of so much variety in landscape, but an exotic and diverse location like Ming dynasty China might have been fun.

2. - Definitely: Horribly low resolution! Virtually no graphics improvement over DI.

3. - Again, definitely: random land generation, by far the biggest selling point. Next closest was the great music.

4. - No, single player and LAN only.

4.1. - Again, LAN only. Once I started playing with friends in the same room, it was really tough to do anything with BNet.
"Who's John Galt?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement