Sign in to follow this  

nintendo ds programming question

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a win32 systems programmer and most of my life I've done mainly c++ and assembly code. I just got a job to help with a 3d renderer on a nds and lo and behold I'm the main programmer. I've done lots of stuff like this before with c++ but for the nds every tutorial and demo code I see is in c. As I look at the specs of the hardware I'm really worried that c++ wont be able to cut it. I've also heard the arm processors dont do well with lots of virtual calls and general OOP bloat(which is not a problem on desktops). I really dont want to write a whole engine and then find it's too slow, do you think I should just write this whole engine in c from the very beginning? Experienced console programmers, i look forward to hearing your opinions. Also the reason to my reluctance is because I am an oop whore.

Most of what you need to be careful about is memory usage; I think you've got 4 MB of RAM to work with, so vanilla C++ is right out. However...

C++ written in a certain way, and with an appropriate runtime or compiler, is perfectly acceptable. C is used because there is an appropriate runtime and compiler written already; there is none such for C++.

If you feel you must use C++, then look for a runtime for it. Mostly, that means a memory allocator and a CRT to bootstrap into your C++/ASM code, or if you're lucky there's a complete library for even the hardware access through C++.

Either way, I'd suggest you learn C. It is far more likely a C library and bootstrap exists for the DS than a C++ one, and you don't want to write a cross-compiler (from C++ to C, not x86 to ARM) yourself.

The C++ fanatics on this forum (and only the fanatics, not the advocates) often push the idea that writing good, readable, maintainable, OO-like code in C is harder than it is. It is not; you just have to use different paradigms when coding, because the compiler does less footwork for you. Writing a good general-purpose string library is trivial; it just takes a different mindset than blindly reaching for std::string.

Writing in C will make you a more cautious, more fastidious, and more conscienscious programmer, but it won't make you a faster one. Writing in C will make you more aware of domain-specific differences and problems which could be covered up nicely by layers of OO in languages like (and by no means restricted to) C++. Writing in C will force you to use different naming schemes, because there is no language-defined or even language-proscribed way of doing things.

In short, writing in C can make you a better programmer, but it can also make you a paranoid one.

As far as being an OOP whore... being an OOP whore is like wrapping yourself head to toe in thick mattresses; a safe idea so long as you're walking on the open plains, but you should re-think your strategy if you're climbing a cliff... you might want to trade down to a very light rope harness, and learn to climb.

[Edit] Oh, and before I forget; go get some documentation on the GLIDE 3D rendering API, from the days of 3Dfx. Nintendo uses very similar paradigms for the hardware polygon APIs, and it'll show you what a good C-targetted 3D API looks like without COM getting in the way, in case you're not familiar with OpenGL (which is also a good C-targetted 3D API, but it was originally shaped for engineers, not game programmers).

Quote:
Original post by Wyrframe
Most of what you need to be careful about is memory usage; I think you've got 4 MB of RAM to work with, so vanilla C++ is right out. However...

C++ written in a certain way, and with an appropriate runtime or compiler, is perfectly acceptable. C is used because there is an appropriate runtime and compiler written already; there is none such for C++.

If you feel you must use C++, then look for a runtime for it. Mostly, that means a memory allocator and a CRT to bootstrap into your C++/ASM code, or if you're lucky there's a complete library for even the hardware access through C++.

Either way, I'd suggest you learn C. It is far more likely a C library and bootstrap exists for the DS than a C++ one, and you don't want to write a cross-compiler (from C++ to C, not x86 to ARM) yourself.

The C++ fanatics on this forum (and only the fanatics, not the advocates) often push the idea that writing good, readable, maintainable, OO-like code in C is harder than it is. It is not; you just have to use different paradigms when coding, because the compiler does less footwork for you. Writing a good general-purpose string library is trivial; it just takes a different mindset than blindly reaching for std::string.

Writing in C will make you a more cautious, more fastidious, and more conscienscious programmer, but it won't make you a faster one. Writing in C will make you more aware of domain-specific differences and problems which could be covered up nicely by layers of OO in languages like (and by no means restricted to) C++. Writing in C will force you to use different naming schemes, because there is no language-defined or even language-proscribed way of doing things.

In short, writing in C can make you a better programmer, but it can also make you a paranoid one.

As far as being an OOP whore... being an OOP whore is like wrapping yourself head to toe in thick mattresses; a safe idea so long as you're walking on the open plains, but you should re-think your strategy if you're climbing a cliff... you might want to trade down to a very light rope harness, and learn to climb.

[Edit] Oh, and before I forget; go get some documentation on the GLIDE 3D rendering API, from the days of 3Dfx. Nintendo uses very similar paradigms for the hardware polygon APIs, and it'll show you what a good C-targetted 3D API looks like without COM getting in the way, in case you're not familiar with OpenGL (which is also a good C-targetted 3D API, but it was originally shaped for engineers, not game programmers).

What a great post Wyrframe, thank you very much. I really appreciate the time you put into that. I'll check out the glide docs, anything that can help better integrate me into this system. Thanks again.

You have a few options

1. Keep your engine in C and game code in C++. I'd seen this before and it works out quite well.
2. Going out all C++ OOP, but keep it light weight. The engine that we're using for our game now is all in C++ as well as game code, well it's ported from net-gen console engine. It's work fine, as we only use feature of C++ that are comparable to C and inheritance sparingly.
3. Going out all C, I done this before. However certain features of C++ just help solve problems easier.

The point is don't worry about C++ performance, use C++ and leave out the expensive features.

To further Wyrframe's point, Any C++ programmer worth his salt ought to be able to write nice, clean C code. I would go as far as to argue that a C++ programmer who can't write nice clean C code is not only deficient as a C programmer, but as a C++ programmer as well.

C has every feature you need to build an object-orientation framework, all C++ has really done is standardize such a framework and provide convenient syntax to those facilities. All C++ programmers should be familiar with how C++ features like polymorphism are actually implimented, and how it could be implimented in a language like C (on a conceptual level at the very least). Knowing these details will absolutely make you a better programmer. For instance, if you know the details about how polymorphism is implimented, did you know that you can actually change the type of a class perminantly (I'm not talking about reinterpret_cast here) within some constraints?

What this all means is that, in addition to standard C code, you can really pick what OO concepts you need a-la-carte. Need polymorphism for your Entity class? study up on function pointers and how C++ does it, then impliment it yourself.

C is great in the way that it can actually free you from some of the constraints one tends to run up against in C++. I find that developing in C is usually a much more fluid process than C++, where more time must be spent designing -- which is not to say that you can get away *without* designing in C, only that refactoring things typically takes less effort. C often lets you focus on the problem, rather than the framework around the problem.

Before you think I'm some C zeleot, I actually do 95% of my programming in C++, both professionally and in my personal projects; I've simply observed some paterns I find common when I do use C. For example, I wrote a disassembler for a microcontroller in vanilla C not too long ago. I guarantee that most C++ programmers, myself included, probably would have written more classes than I wrote functions in the C version. Its literally fewer than 10 functions spread across 2 or 3 files.

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.