Why do some people say this makes them dizzy/hypnotized?

Started by
2 comments, last by eedok 16 years, 10 months ago
working on my entry for the MAGIC contest, and people are saying they get dizzy while playing or hypnotized, I can't figure out why this is happening to them. Link to game
Advertisement
It's because of the strobe effect. If you add motion blur (which shouldn't be too hard - you know the direction of movement, just made a set of pre-blurred textures/sprites for different speeds and switch between them), then it won't strobe any more and the dizziness/hypnosis will go away.

Edit: Technically, it's Temporal aliasing.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Yeah....I can see why.

It kinda feels like the game is running at 10 frames a second. I don't know if you limit the frames or not, but the game is not very smooth. It's too jittery, and quite hard to look at.

You could try rendering at least 70mhz, or what ever the user has their monitor set to.
Quote:Original post by JohnBSmall
It's because of the strobe effect. If you add motion blur (which shouldn't be too hard - you know the direction of movement, just made a set of pre-blurred textures/sprites for different speeds and switch between them), then it won't strobe any more and the dizziness/hypnosis will go away.

Edit: Technically, it's Temporal aliasing.

John B

I changed the blocks to a more solid background when the speed gets fast and the guy testing my game says the hypnotism went away, so thanks :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement