Sign in to follow this  
rikun

Object morphing using interpolation?

My professor assigned us a project to morph any object made of triangles to another object made of triangles in openGL. This is simple enough if we can just move the vertices to the target object vertices by moving it little by little to animate the morphing like the nehe tutorial on object morphing. But she said that we had to use interpolation rather than just moving them. Does anyone know what she means by interpolating? I know interpolation can be used for color and lighting, but I don't see how we can use it to move vertices.

Interpolation is finding an intermediate value between two predefined values. In your case you have the starting object's coordinate data and the end object's coordinate data. In this case you could move the position of each vertex little by little towards its destination point until it reaches the destination point.

I think what your instructor was trying to convey when she said you can't just move the vertices is that the change has to be gradual like those images where bush slowly turns into Hitler.

[Edited by - CrimsonSun on June 6, 2007 11:30:13 PM]