Sign in to follow this  
anubhab123

Hello everyone(question on a tutorial)

Hello everyone.I'm rather new to DirectX and i've had some experience coding in C/C++.I've wanted to try to program in Direct3D for some time and see what i can do with it so I decided to look online for tutorials and www.Directxtutorial.com seemed pretty decent to me so I began learning lesson by lesson and coding along with the lessons and trying some of the exercises.So far i've been able to plot a few vertices and make them into a triangle.I've also been able to do transformations of various kinds on them including scaling,translating,rotating.I've also learned how to control the camera and various aspects of it. But in a recent lesson I became confused about a few things the author of the tutorial said to do as exercises.I was going to email the author with my questions however he recommends on his website that I post here first. the tutorial i'm on is http://www.directxtutorial.com/Tutorial9/B-Direct3DBasics/dx9B5.aspx at the end of the tutorial he lists a few exercises that we should do to familiarize ourselves.I'm not sure if i can tell whether he wants us to do each and every exercise on the sample code he provided or he wants us to do them sequentially and make each of the changes as we go along. The other thing I was also concerned about was how good a tutorial would you say that this website is in terms of how much it covers and how indepth it is.It seems like alot of stuff and rather detailed and in depth but I don't know how big the DirectX API really is.If perhaps there are some other tutorials any of you would recommend it would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks alot [Edited by - anubhab123 on June 6, 2007 10:10:13 PM]

anub,

I dont have much time or I'd post a more in-depth response. However, when someone asks for a good introduction to DirectX, and for tutorials, etc...I almost always point them to the DirectX SDK documentation. You'd be surprised how well written it is. It's "usually" very easy to read, and gives you just enough information to get started. Plus, being part of the DirectX SDK, you know where to go from there to find more info.

Here's a link to the DirectX SDK Tutorials on the web. You should have them on your local drive as part of the SDK, however.

Microsoft's Direct3D Tutorials

For more thorough information, check their Programming Guide.

Getting Started Direct3D Guide

Cheers!

thanks alot jwalsh I had no idea it was that well documented.I assumed it wasn't well written at all(probably shoulda checked it out instead of assuming).