Sign in to follow this  

wich engine?

This topic is 3838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

hi all developers we have 3 person group we have planning a very very big game about 3 DVDs the story is read about 20 million lines only programming and engine is not ready and now im here to ask you some question i also know Delphi,VB, VB.net,C#.net , Asp.net 1- is FPS Creator a powerful Engine for big game? 2- if is not a powerful please tell me a powerful game engine? 3- what about xna ? please help me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 million lines? And you say you want to use FPSC? I have doubds about your professionalism.

Anyways, If you need great rendering, OGRE is the way to go, but you have to use third party/inhouse subsystems for networking, input etc. If you want an engine that has it all, I would suggest Nebula 2 (although I never used it, but others told me it is pretty good).

It all depends on what you want to do. If it's a RTS or top-view RPG or something like that, I would suggest writing your own engine. Do NOT use FPS Creator. It's crap. It is the mother of all crap. If you are a beginner you could try it to get the taste of gamedev, but don't you stick to it or it will be your undoing. It is unstable, VERY inefficient and does not produce quality results.

Hope I helped. If not, insults and swearing are not welcome :P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oh very thanks my friend

the story is in 20 million(it will be increase) lines and in 40 very very huge map (the smallest include only 805 homes)

it is Action\Adventure game

which engine do you recommend me to use ?


thanks my friend

our system specification:
Cpu: Two QUAD Core 3.2GH Intel
Ram: 16 Gig DDR2 Bus 800
Graphic: Two Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I recommend you go with the StartSmaller engine.

This is me talking from personal experience:

Stop. Stop right now. Take your current idea, set it aside.

Judging by your posts here, you have no idea of the technical limitations inherent in what you're trying to do. You have no clue of the type of graphical system you'll need to render such a large world, nor of the massive amount of assets you'll need, or the amount of scripting (not story scripting, but AI/event scripting), or anything like that that you need to accomplish this game. That's not even taking into account all of the TIME involved.

I know this because about 15 years ago, I sounded just like you, designing a large game (for the time), complete with a half billion possibilities, etc etc.

Note that you never saw my game on shelves, not only was it more than I could handle, but it was also technically impossible at the time.

Now, wha I suggest to your team is to START SMALLER. There's something to be said for shooting for the moon, but it's another thing entirely when all you have is a bow and arrow. Ambitious goals are great and all, but you should keep them within the realm of what you know how to do.

Try a smaller concept first. Make something simple. Figure out how a full game fits together. Work your way up to your magnum opus. Not only will you and your team be better by the time you get there, but it'll make your Super Ultra Mega Game better in the long run, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thanks all my friends

all my friend th nebula can import 3dmax objects and models?

is it user friendly as Fps creator?
can anybody put download link for me?
what about ogre?(is it )
you know this project is huge than huge that what ever you think(i want user friendly and very simple but powerful you know ike fps but the power rise to nebula and orge)
is orge user friendly ?(by drag and drop(script less))
u put your body out of joke and don't make your funny ok ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is your story written in as poor English as yours? I'd say, invest in an editor (that is, someone who will go over your 20 million lines and make sure they're all grammatically correct etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
first the story is written in Persian ( IRAN language )
i have all Full Version of these softwares:
deep creator (about 2,500$)
torque
3dgamestudio
tv3d
darkbasic
orge

now which one is the most user friendly and the most powerful?

(1 years later you will hear our game From EA Company)(the most important for EA is the story and mapping not game modeling and graphic it is only for better solve for EA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by dadasalam
thanks all my friends

all my friend th nebula can import 3dmax objects and models?

is it user friendly as Fps creator?
can anybody put download link for me?
what about ogre?(is it )
you know this project is huge than huge that what ever you think(i want user friendly and very simple but powerful you know ike fps but the power rise to nebula and orge)
is orge user friendly ?(by drag and drop(script less))
u put your body out of joke and don't make your funny ok ?

This post, at least the bits that I understand, confirms my suspicion that you have no idea, technically, how to go about making a game, especially one that's so large in scale.

You have no concept of what nebula even does. You are looking for a magic bullet in terms of user-friendlyness. FPS Creator's user-friendlyness comes at a price: functionality. There is no scriptless drag-and-drop game creator that will make games that do much of ANYTHING, let alone some above-and-beyond-the-scope-of-what's-possible game.

Unless you DRASTICALLY reduce the scope of your game, maybe learn some technical things in the meantime, a year from now you'll still be wondering how to start. I'm sure EA will be announcing alot of games, but I can guarantee that yours will not be in the list.

I'm not trying to be negative - I'm just trying to tell the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

the story is in 20 million(it will be increase) lines and in 40 very very huge map (the smallest include only 805 homes)

I hope you dont plan on rendering all 805 homes during realtime...

Quote:

Ram: 16 Gig DDR2 Bus 800

16 Gigabytes of RAM? Wow. I really got to update then.

I personally think your project is too ambitius(sp?). Huge
video games are extremily complex projects to build, and is nearly,
if not impossible, by three members. Of course, this depends on your
definition of "huge".

What experience do you have with game development? If none, I recommend
to start smaller.

If you still want to go ahead, I would recommend using C++ with a scriptable
game engine. It is the most user-freindlyness you will get. You have
to make a decision, and decide between Quality/Control and Ease of use.

The more "Easier" a tool is, the higher its abstraction, and hence the less
control you have. With less control, your project will not end up like
what you envisioned because the tool you are using will not allow it.

I will second the use of Orge.

Hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i have said that the most important for ea is our story and maps not designing game and graphic remember this please
our group dose not know any thing about graphic but we are powerful programming team ok?
and designing the game is a part of fun
when i post that i want help from u that which engine can i use for my game (our programming are very powerful but no time for that, a little or normal is good) not descrip of what ever you think about this story and my system specification ok ?
you know this game is Action\Adventure Game


now i want only your recommand about engine it is not important that the engine be freeware or shareware only one of that is very powerful

thanks friend's
bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by dadasalam
i have said that the most important for ea is our story and maps not designing game and graphic remember this please
our group dose not know any thing about graphic but we are powerful programming team ok?
and designing the game is a part of fun
when i post that i want help from u that which engine can i use for my game (our programming are very powerful but no time for that, a little or normal is good) not descrip of what ever you think about this story and my system specification ok ?
you know this game is Action\Adventure Game


now i want only your recommand about engine it is not important that the engine be freeware or shareware only one of that is very powerful

thanks friend's
bye


So, let me make sure I have your request straight.

A. you want an engine that does ALL OF THE WORK FOR YOU.
B. You don't want to do ANY programming
C. You are making the mother of all Action/Adventure games,
D. There has never been a game with the scope of your plan.

Given those four statements,

E. A + B requires that the engine needs to handle everything that (C) needs. (because you'd need to do a ton of programming for an engine that does NOT support the stuff in C)
F. Because of D (no game has had such a scope), there is no engine (A) that does all of the work for you.
G. E (you need an engine to do everything) and F (there is no engine that does everything) are contradictory.
H. Therefore, your request is impossible.

Designing a game is part of the fun, sure, but it's also part of the WORK. You know what else is part of the work? Programming.

I figured when I wrote my first reply that you would hand wave away/ignore all of the advice that came your way, but you really do seem dense.

Go ahead. My suggestion for an engine would be the Unreal Engine 3. Good luck paying for it, then good luck using it to produce a game. Then good luck selling your game.

You'll need every bit of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Drilian
B. You don't want to do ANY programming
Quote:
Original post by dadasalam
we are powerful programming team ok?

Seems like he (or at least his team) knows some "powerful programming magic"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by rfterdarc
just to clarify: million = 1,000,000
20 million lines... hmm, perhaps you mean 20 thousand lines


I was just about to comment on that. A regular A4 piece of paper is about ~75 lines on a small, compact font size without any line breaks. 20 million lines on that scale would be well over 250,000 pages. A sheet of paper is about ~0.1mm thick. 250,000 pages would form a stack of paper 25 meters high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Drilian
Quote:
Original post by dadasalam
i have said that the most important for ea is our story and maps not designing game and graphic remember this please
our group dose not know any thing about graphic but we are powerful programming team ok?
and designing the game is a part of fun
when i post that i want help from u that which engine can i use for my game (our programming are very powerful but no time for that, a little or normal is good) not descrip of what ever you think about this story and my system specification ok ?
you know this game is Action\Adventure Game


now i want only your recommand about engine it is not important that the engine be freeware or shareware only one of that is very powerful

thanks friend's
bye


So, let me make sure I have your request straight.

A. you want an engine that does ALL OF THE WORK FOR YOU.
B. You don't want to do ANY programming
C. You are making the mother of all Action/Adventure games,
D. There has never been a game with the scope of your plan.

Given those four statements,

E. A + B requires that the engine needs to handle everything that (C) needs. (because you'd need to do a ton of programming for an engine that does NOT support the stuff in C)
F. Because of D (no game has had such a scope), there is no engine (A) that does all of the work for you.
G. E (you need an engine to do everything) and F (there is no engine that does everything) are contradictory.
H. Therefore, your request is impossible.

Designing a game is part of the fun, sure, but it's also part of the WORK. You know what else is part of the work? Programming.

I figured when I wrote my first reply that you would hand wave away/ignore all of the advice that came your way, but you really do seem dense.

Go ahead. My suggestion for an engine would be the Unreal Engine 3. Good luck paying for it, then good luck using it to produce a game. Then good luck selling your game.

You'll need every bit of it.


oh thanks my friend it is god of engine i have bought it it was about 750,000$ is any engine powerful than this:d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by dadasalam
oh thanks my friend it is god of engine i have bought it it was about 750,000$ is any engine powerful than this:d


bullshit....
and if it werent ( i dont belive so ), how can you go and buy an engine the same day someone says its good.
creating this game would need a huge amount of research.
if you want to sell this game to EA youd probably have to research half your lives (since your just 3 people) comming up with revolutionary spatial systems for cities ( based on that your smallest village will have 850 homes (you are not planning to be able to enter them do you?))

i would like to know what programming skills you have, and what games you have created.

(i think this thread is hilarius btw :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by LackOfGrace
Quote:
Original post by dadasalam
oh thanks my friend it is god of engine i have bought it it was about 750,000$ is any engine powerful than this:d


bullshit....
and if it werent ( i dont belive so ), how can you go and buy an engine the same day someone says its good.
creating this game would need a huge amount of research.
if you want to sell this game to EA youd probably have to research half your lives (since your just 3 people) comming up with revolutionary spatial systems for cities ( based on that your smallest village will have 850 homes (you are not planning to be able to enter them do you?))

i would like to know what programming skills you have, and what games you have created.

(i think this thread is hilarius btw :) )


don't worry boy we are friends not enemies we can speak and solve our prob
when i see only the screen shot i said it is god of engine ok?
no we are not planning to get in all homes only 40 to 60 homes in this map
now the status is downloading unreal engine 3
also this not be continue half of our life only 3 years and 12 hours a day
my programming skill is in (Vb,VB.net,C#.net,Asp.net(JS,Html))
ok don't be worry
bye my friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

my programming skill is in (Vb,VB.net,C#.net,Asp.net(JS,Html))

How long?

What is the most complex project (Completed and/or demo) you or your
team has worked on? Do you have any links or pics?

I just dont want your or your team to be lead down a dead-end path.

Unreal engine is a good engine. Note, however, that programming
and scripting is still required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
my programming skill is in (Vb,VB.net,C#.net,Asp.net(JS,Html))

wow those are some impressive credentials!!!!
vb + C# + js + html all in one, ffs i can see a mmorpg version of pong/breakout which will be a pop + best of all it wont even crash (unless u have a runtime error), though on the downside itll just be very slow + consume heaps of memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is 3838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this