Sign in to follow this  
skaldicpoet9

Beginning Developer Using C# and XNA -Help

Hey everyone I am new to game development and am wondering if someone can give me a few pointers? I have installed XNA Game Studio Express and C# Express as well. I have also got myself a few C# books to reference from. My question is what do I do now...should I go directly into trying to make games or should I just start out by making simple programs? I want to make games (eventually) but I also want to be able to make programs for Windows eventually as well. I am thinking that I should try to make some small Windows apps and then move on to game apps....or is it better to go straight into game dev? One last question about XNA (if anyone knows) are you able to play XNA Games without the XNA framework (like a regular Windows game app) or does the person who is playing the game need the XNA framework? Anyways thanks everyone I look forward to your responses.

Quote:
Original post by skaldicpoet9
Hey everyone I am new to game development and am wondering if someone can give me a few pointers? I have installed XNA Game Studio Express and C# Express as well. I have also got myself a few C# books to reference from. My question is what do I do now...should I go directly into trying to make games or should I just start out by making simple programs? I want to make games (eventually) but I also want to be able to make programs for Windows eventually as well. I am thinking that I should try to make some small Windows apps and then move on to game apps....or is it better to go straight into game dev? One last question about XNA (if anyone knows) are you able to play XNA Games without the XNA framework (like a regular Windows game app) or does the person who is playing the game need the XNA framework? Anyways thanks everyone I look forward to your responses.

I would say whichever route sounds better for you, go with it. There are lots of samples and tutorials at creators.xna.com to get you started with programming for XNA. If you are new to C# (as it sounds) it may be beneficial to spend some time doing a few console apps to get used to the language. Doing Windows apps can help, but there's different thought when working on one of them as opposed to a game. So basically whatever feels right for you, try it. If it doesn't work out, head the other way.

Yes a user of the XNA game would need the XNA Framework to run it, much like a game built on DirectX requires that the player have the DirectX framework. They don't have to install all of XNA Game Studio Express, but they do need some things. Check out these two FAQS:

http://forums.xna.com/thread/9924.aspx
http://forums.xna.com/thread/9927.aspx

Hopefully that gets you started. Don't forget you can register at creators.xna.com and get help on those forums as well which are frequented by many talented people as well as a few people who actually work on the XNA framework. It's a good resource to use.

Depends on how you like to learn. Some books go for a tutorial, working code, then exercises to extend that code.

You might do well pulling apart some games which you can get source for and adding your own bits to them to see how stuff works.

Best thing is to set attainable goals for yourself, so you don't give up [smile]

how well versed are you in other programming langauges? and which ones? i think either way you should learn c# before you start jumping into games with c#. obviously if you know another language then the process will (hopefully) be relativley painless.

I guess I'll be the first to suggest that if you're relatively new to C#, you may want to follow along with the C# Workshop hosted right here on GDNet. We'll be spending 2 months quickly learning the entirety of the C# language.

For more information see the thread titles C# Workshop - Introduction.

Cheers!

well, i'm kind of a beginner as well..i'm nowhere near making games yet but i do have a little bit of advice, not overlooking the c# workshop run here of course, as i'm sure it is very good and worth a look.
i personally learn by doing, if i read about it it goes in one ear and out the other, a great website to get started and learn about the basics of making apps (the end project is an RSS reader, which makes good practice) is http://msdn.microsoft.com if you navigate through there and start on tier 2 of the c# lessons (i think you click on development track) then there are 14 or so downloadable video lessons, that you can pause and stop whenever you see fit, all completed with audio talkover by Bob Tabor, he seems to be able to make things sound simple and i learned alot from these few lessons when i first did them, i tend to complete them myself as i watch the video, pausing as and when i need to.
But again, i'm not trying to take anything away from the lessons run here, as the people are all very professional and i am sure it would help you greatly.
either way, just an idea, whatever works for you though, good luck. :)

Thanks everyone for the help, I will have to check out the workshop for sure. I have a few books and I was thinking that it would probably be more auspicious if I started work on C# programs and then move on to games. Anyways I look forward to being able to know what half of the posts I see on this forum mean lol.

I really need help because I cant seem to get my XNA game(or even the blank game) working on any other computer. I have read http://forums.xna.com/thread/9924.aspx and checked the second computer to see if everything is installed correctly. Here is a list of apps related to c# that each computer has:

1st (dev comp):
C# Express,
XNA GSE 1.0 Refresh,
DirectX 9.0c (Start->Run->"dxdiag" tells me this)
.NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0

2nd (computer trying to run the game):
XNA 1.0 Framework Refresh,
DirectX 9.0c(Start->Run->"dxdiag" said so),
.NET 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0

I think this is where my problem is:
I am setting the drop down next to the "Run with Debugging" button to Release instead of Debug. Then i delete everything out of the bin/x86/Release folder(if it exists) and then compiling the program, just to make sure the files are fresh. Then I take that folder to the 2nd computer and try to run the .exe file.

If someone has gotten their game to work on another computer that only has the XNA framework installed, please list out step by step everything you did to get it working.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Two questions:

What is the exact error you're getting? (exactly, not paraphrased)
What kind of video card does the second machine have?

Otherwise, double check that thread, because 99% of the time these problems are caused by a dependency not being installed.

ok, microsoft only says that i need .net 2.0+, XNA framework, and directX 9.0c on the second computer(the one im trying to run my game on). assuming this is actually correct, here are some screen shots from that computer.

http://ovin08.byethost11.com/Images/XNA.jpeg
http://ovin08.byethost11.com/Images/net.JPG
http://ovin08.byethost11.com/Images/directX.JPG

and the computer's hardware is a mirror of what the dev machine is(p4 3.4ghz, 256mb radeon x600)

also, microsoft says that i should include some files from the directx sdk, some dlls and dat files. this was the first thing that i have tried. i put them in the same folder as the Release folder of the game, and copied that to the second computer.

and heres a screenshot of the error.

http://ovin08.byethost11.com/Images/error.JPG

if i click debug it tries to open VS to correct the error. so clicking that is worthless.