Sign in to follow this  
AgentOrannnge

Is this possible?

I know alot of people post around about programming a MMORPG but just hear me out. I want to know if this development plan is possible. I want to master Delphi 2006 and program a map editor. Ill use the map editor as a grid based engine. Once I get all my graphics developed and some maps made I am going to program the server in C++. Is it possible to intergrate the game made in Delphi and the Server in C++. How realistic is programming a top down mmorpg. Not like playerworlds at www.playerworlds.com but a top down MapleStory look alike found at www.maplestory.com If this is possible is there any good Delphi resources such as e-books. I found alot of resource sites but they weren't in English. My name is Dylan by the way. Hello everybody.

Yes, it's possible. Why, however, do you want to program the server in C++ ? I would definitely program both server and client in the same language to make things easier.

As a side note, it might be interesting to write your server before creating the maps, because the map structure might change as the server is being developed.

I assure you that the problem with producing an MMORPG is earning that first M. The difficulty level has nothing at all to do with graphics.

Supporting a "massive" (1000+) number of players on a game is extremely difficult and requires advanced knowledge of networking, several servers, expensive bandwidth and probably a good dose of experience. Here is a wiki page on the difficulties of producing a game of this type.

If you're just making a little multiplayer RPG, say so. So many newbies here say they're making an "MMORPG" and swear up and down it's achievable because some other game works with eight players. [rolleyes] That's why we hop on them, not because it's impossible to make a multiplayer game all by yourself, but that they want to make an MMO.