Sign in to follow this  

graphics card information

This topic is 3844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Anybody know a way in c++ to find out what type of graphics card the user is using. I am interested in whether its ATI or Nvidia and perhaps for nvidia whether its the 7 or 8 series. Is there a way to do this preferably only using c++ and win32. -CProgrammer

Why?

What if, in 5 years time some new manufacturer comes out and releases a new card, which is better than the GeForce 8? Or if ATI or nVidia change their name?

Surely you want to check the capabilities of the card rather than it's name or VRAM, but doing that is graphics API specific.

Na just the name. Reason is that I want to switch between nvidias CUDA and ATIs ATM. So I only need the manufacteurer name and whether its a verssion later than X(8 for nvidia). Both of these are specific to the card and new manufacteurers will probably have their own version. If its neither of the two the program displays an error message.

At least in the case of CUDA, you should be checking for the presence of CUDA drivers instead, anyway (which are not automatically available even on a compatible card).

The simplest is still to try and detect the presence of the CUDA DLL, and then cuDeviceGetCount.

This topic is 3844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.