Best Book

Started by
2 comments, last by Gage64 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I currently own and have read the following books: Wiley's Teach Yourself C++ Accelerated C++ C++ Primer Head First Java Head First Design Patterns I want to get more into the games side of things, Artificial Intellegence, DirectX and OpenGL, multiplayer and creating things in a 3D world. These books are more of an introduction and software side than a games side. I am by no means a C++ expert, but I can grasp the beginnings of it, and understand a lot of what is going on in a program. I don't want to go to school for this, I love programming and game design but I think working in the industry will ruin that for me (I also don't have the desire to sit in classes all day for programming, I would rather learn it on my own). So what books would you recommend for me, for my current level of programming and game design? I want to get in working on a mod of a game (Half-Life Source Engine maybe?). I havn't done any graphical things like make a Tetris or Pong game, but I have made a text based RPG with the ability to save data to a text file for later loading. Are these any good? 3D Game Programming for Teens Game Programming for Teens OpenGL Programming Guide The Game Makers Apprentice
Advertisement
Well if you want to do something graphical, and you've made some text-based RPGs and perhaps want to expand your games to include graphics, there are these books:

Programming Role Playing Games, First Edition
Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX, Second Edition
Programming Role Playing Games, Third Edition(out July 30/2007)

According to reviews the first edition is really good(though fairly old now), and the second edition is "bad," and hopefully the third edition will be amazing. I havn't read either, but I've looking through them and they're pretty interesting.

And now as I reread your post I notice that you mention you want to get working on a mod of a game, and that I don't have an answer for. I do know that there are some books from good publishers that are for the...Quake(?) engine, and Unreal engine, I think I saw them on this site, and perhaps on amazon.
isn't there a forum on this very site for mods?

- Goishin
If you want a book that will teach you 3D graphics programming with Direct3D 9, It looks like the best book is this one (it even covers shaders beyond an introductory level). However it doesn't cover game programming specifically, but rather some of the technical knowledge required for it. It only assumes knowledge of C-plus-plus (the plus signs don't work for some reason).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement