Sign in to follow this  
sunxvogy

I released my game 1 week ago, but no sale

i ve released my game on May 28th, but it is still no sale for now... are some problems with my game ? My game is a puzzle & casual game for Windows platform. here is the web: http://www.hihisoft.com/game.html could you give me some suggestions? [img]http://www.hihisoft.com/woodyball1.jpg[/img]

GameDev Marketing 101:
  1. You're on a game programming site. Therefore you must show mastery HTML 4 syntax. In other words, make a link to your page.
  2. See 1. Also, correct the img tag for your screenshot.
  3. How come this is the first time I'm hearing of your game? To sell anything you must advertise heavily, but not beyond your means. If I haven't heard of it, what makes you think other people have?
  4. Selling products and services for the first time is an exercise in patience. So see 3.
  5. Don't ask why no one has bought your game (especially after a week!). Make us, compel us to buy your game. Describe, show, drop a damn demo of the game. Exposure, exposure, exposure.

Obscure and tsloper will have much more wisdom to share than I ever will. So heed their advice if they decide to bestow it upon you.

Good luck with your game sales! [smile]

First off congratulations on actualy finishing a game, that now puts you above 4/5 of the people on this site :). That being said...

How much advertising have you done for your game? I have found that even the cheesiest software in the world sells if you advertise it well enough. But if you expect people just to find your PR0 site out of the blue... how can you expect sales? have you put any demos on sites? hosted it on some download sites for people to find it? Anything at all really?

In addition, while your game looks fairly polished, im not 100% positive it can compete with other games in that price range. Add a bit more color and some effects. Give it some "wazzam".

Richard

(please bear in mind that the following I express no guarentees on, its mearly based on the marketing success I have had a with some programs I developed)

first I would put up something on the pages that your game is linked on. For the sites that you listed it on, see if you can somehow get the pageviews off of it. This is your "views" number. Its the number of people that hit your demographic that were exposed to your game. If this number is under 1000 a day, then you just arnt advertising enough to really expect much in the way of sales

now put up something to gauge your download numbers. this will help you understand your programs exposure, how many people are at least interested enough to download. Believe it or not alot of people will download a free demo given an oppertunity.. so this is a good way to get an "interest" number.

you can take the number of downloads divided by the number of unique visitors to the pages and you will now know how many people download the program based on how many visit it. ie: 5% of the people who visit the page download it. if this number is under 5%, You might need to step up your sales page or screenshots.

now you take the number of sales and divide it by the number of people who have downloaded your program. This is the number of "translations". People who have downloaded your program and are interested enough to purchase. Anything above 3% here is pretty good. If this number is exceedingly low, then that means you actualy need to work on your game a bit more. You can have very few sales though, and this number still be high. If thats the case, then its most likely the marketing thats missing, not the game itself.

Quote:
Original post by PaulCesar
First off congratulations on actualy finishing a game, that now puts you above 4/5 of the people on this site :). That being said...

How much advertising have you done for your game? I have found that even the cheesiest software in the world sells if you advertise it well enough. But if you expect people just to find your PR0 site out of the blue... how can you expect sales? have you put any demos on sites? hosted it on some download sites for people to find it? Anything at all really?

In addition, while your game looks fairly polished, im not 100% positive it can compete with other games in that price range. Add a bit more color and some effects. Give it some "wazzam".

Richard

Do you mean my price is too expensive?

Quote:
Original post by sunxvogy
i ve released my game on May 28th, but it is still no sale for now...

Hoo boy!
As Master Po said to his kung fu student: "Patience, grasshopper."
How old are you? And are you sure you aren't American? (^_^)
The world doesn't reward brilliance that easily!
Seriously. You need to rethink your expectations, think more realistically.
See FAQ 47 and FAQ 60 at http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Quote:
Original post by PaulCesar
I have found that even the cheesiest software in the world sells if you advertise it well enough.

Where is the best place for advertising my game? Or i should modify my game first?

Quote:
Original post by Smoothballer
You need to fix all the grammatical errors in your description of the game.

Oh... My native language is not english and my english is poor... Could you help me to point up some grammatical errors?

Thank you~~

There used to be a very good article by Steve Pavlina from Dexterity.com on this exact topic, but it seems to have gotten lost in his travel towards self-enlightenment guru..

Some quick tips:

- Drive traffic to your site. That means you need to get information about the game out to the places that might be interested in it. This includes 'casual' review sites, like Gamezebo and Casual Review. Get it on CNET download, etc.

- Work with the portals to get it online. They already have massive traffic, but they're very picky about who they distribute, so might not be so easy

- Work in a less saturated market. Maybe you can find local partners in China to give you a hand in distribution for a share of the revenue?

- Improve the product. Download the competing products, and look for the 10 things they do better than you; this may be polish, tutorials, special effects, meta-game, etc. Fix your game to the same or better quality.

- Get real metrics. Know how many downloaded the game, how many unique visitors you had, etc. How many people played the game but didn't buy it? If you have an online highscore, that's a great source for play statistics.

Find out WHY people aren't buying the game, and fix that.

Allan Simonsen

Quote:
Quote:

Oh... My native language is not english and my english is poor... Could you help me to point up some grammatical errors?

Thank you~~

Sure. Here's how it should read:

Turn 3 or more balls of the same color into a line! It's a Deluxe Crystal Ball Puzzle Game! Woody Ball will bring you to a new world of ball removing. You can play Woody Ball during your coffee break or for an evening of fun. Turn and remove balls of the same color that are connected horizontally or vertically. It requires more skill and thought. Woody Ball supports multi-player.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you~~

Turn 3 or more balls of the same color into a line! It's a Deluxe Crystal Ball Puzzle Game! Woody Ball will bring you to a new world of ball removing. You can play Woody Ball during your coffee break or for an evening of fun. Turn and remove balls of the same color that are connected horizontally or vertically. It requires more skill and thought. Woody Ball supports multi-player.

Thank you very much!

But my downloads about 20 per day, how to make more downloads? Is the PPD fit for me? or some other ways?

Quote:
Original post by frob
Do you mean this one, or this one, or this one, or this (part one) (part two)?

All of these are pretty good reading. Or maybe you were referring to a different one?

this one

Though they're all worth reading. Thanks for digging them up.

Also; to improve visibility of your own app, create a PAD File and get it submitted to all the usual download sites. Though that won't create massive publicity, at least it will help a little.

You might also want to do some work with viral networks, like DigIt, and try to get your application up there.

Don't give up, and good luck!

Allan

I have nothing more to add, except maybe that it took me 3 years (until 2001) and 3 games to sell more than just a couple of games; but today I am making a living with my games for 6 years now - so keep going.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you~~

Thank you very much!

But my downloads about 20 per day, how to make more downloads? Is the PPD fit for me? or some other ways?

20 per day really isn't that good, especially since quite many downloaders will be kids who can't purchase software online. (or adults who are afraid to use their credit cards online).

The trial version is quite unpolished, multiplayer seems to be missing even though the page states that it is supported, the "Exp" bar never seems to change and some parts of the game are poorly explained.

Those snowflakes do what exactly? how do i remove those? (or are they there to raise difficulty?). The tutorial always plays trough twice which is annoying.

Also i can't seem to figure out how to loose or win in this game, it just goes on and on.

There is no obvious way to move the window or run the game in fullscreen (annoying when using high resolution desktops) the game always runs at 1024x768 which makes it unplayable on 640x480 or 800x600 desktops and slightly sloppy looking at higher resolutions.

The music is highly repetetive and really got on my nerves after just a few minutes. (how long was that track, 5-6 seconds constantly looping...)

With a high quality demo that really makes people want to play more after 30 minutes you might be able to get one sale for every 100-200 downloads, some will try to steal the game instead of buying it and others will simply look for a similar but free game instead. (or a trial version for another game to occupy them for another 30 minutes and so on)

Big Fish Games has replied to me:

Quote:

Thank-you very much for your interest in our company, and for submitting Woody Ball for review! I gave your game a play this afternoon and really enjoyed it. However, I'm afraid that it will not resonate well with our current audience at this time. To give you some background, Big Fish Games is a developer, publisher, and distributor of downloadable and online casual games. Our audience is almost entirely female with most over the age of 35. We have noticed that our users a quite sophisticated in what they expect from a game, and tend only to purchase games that offer considerable depth in terms of game play and mechanic. While I enjoyed your game, I felt that it lacked the following items necessary to make the game successful on our site:

-There is no story/plot line to help draw the user in.

-There needs to be a good thorough tutorial, which is an absolute MUST for release on our site.

-Finally, our users are really looking for games that have bonus levels/power-ups as these help the game to offer a deep, rich playing experience.

I do sincerely appreciate you giving me the opportunity to play your game and please remember to think of us as you develop new titles in the future.

Quote:

BFG's among the smartest guys in this industry, with a bunch of innovative 1st party titles (Mystery Case Files, Virtual Villagers, etc). I'd definitely take their advice to heart.

Allan

Quote:
Original post by __ODIN__
Quote:

BFG's among the smartest guys in this industry, with a bunch of innovative 1st party titles (Mystery Case Files, Virtual Villagers, etc). I'd definitely take their advice to heart.

Allan

Yes, i will.
I am going to modify my game and add more interestings in it. plz wait for my new release. thank you all guys~~

get some web banners out there to advertise it. Give a free copy or two to kds and get them hyped...you just need to advertise and make it different than others

I haven't played the game so i don't know whether it already has these or not, but some suggestions to polish the game a bit more.

1. Maybe have the balls sparkle everynow and again, just something simple that changes the display a bit.
2. Do the clouds move in the distance? If they do, do you have any comical features? I.E do you have a pig or duck flying past? This could add that comical factor that increases replayability
3. Maybe for a tutorial having a talking character appear in one of the corners with a speech bubble telling you how to play.
4. Create some sort of storyline for it. Otherwise it'll solely be just pressing balls.

However, it looks like a good remake of a classic game. Well done for actually finishing a game. Keep up the good work.