Sign in to follow this  
Kest

d3d9d.dll is a debug version

When using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, the DirectX files tab reports this file being a debug version as some type of problem. There are many other debug runtime files in the list, but it only seems to complain about this one. Here's a snapshot of the warning (click to view the full image): Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us I've been having problems recently while trying to run many different games on this machine. I'm wondering if this dialog report is normal, or is hinting at a related problem. Can only confirm that the tool reports this on their machine as well? Or can anyone let me know why this file is noted with the exclamation symbol while others are not?

This thread might classify as "tech support", but I don't know.

As for your issue, I've got the same thing listed in my directx diag. Everything running fine for me.

You might want to check the DirectX control panel, and make sure that in the Direct3D tab, the "Use Retail Version of Direct3D" is selected. I remember planning to do some DirectX programming so I turned the debug version on and forgot to switch it back to retail, and had some graphical anomalies in games.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Same thing as in the same list? Or the same warning note about d3d9d.dll?

The warning note about d3d9d.dll.

While many other debug libraries are present, are any other parts of DirectX set to debug in the control panel, or just D3D?

Also, I'm not sure how much of a performance difference the debug versions of the other libraries cause, while D3D9D.dll can be quite significant. Generally you see a mild drop in performance. When doing software vertex processing however, a 60Hz game may drop down to 1-2Hz because of all the checks done in the software path. That kind of potential slowdown is a good reason to point out that specific library.

Everything is set to retail mode. That's why I don't understand the note. It's not noting that the file is being used, but apparently just that it exists as part of the library.

I would be interested in some way to find the default settings for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, though. Or some way to restore the defaults automatically. I've had some problems running a game in the past, and tried tweaking some of the values in that tool. I can't be positive, but I think that was around the time where I started having problems playing other games. Does anyone know how I could do this?

I appreciate the help.